S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    


Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Skating Forum General discussions about all types of skating, including how to skate, places to skate, skating events, skating equipment, and any topic that does not fall under one of our other skating forums.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 13th, 2009, 03:08 PM   #1
Kathie Fry
Forum Host
 
Kathie Fry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Venice Beach, California USA
Posts: 2,082
Default Olympic Committee Recommends Golf and Rugby (Not Skating)

PRESS RELEASE ISSUED AUGUST 13, 2009 BY THE INTERNATIONAL OLYMPIC COMMITTEE:

Quote:
The International Olympic Committee (IOC) Executive Board (EB) proposed today the list of 26 core sports and 2 additional sports, golf and rugby, to be included in the 2016 Olympic Programme. The proposal will be submitted to the full IOC for a final decision at its Session in Copenhagen in October, where golf and rugby will have the opportunity to present. Seven sports — baseball, golf, karate, roller sports, rugby, softball and squash — were seeking to enter the Olympic programme. The secret ballot vote by the EB followed an extensive evaluation by the Olympic Programme Commission of the potential added value to the Games from each of the seven sports.

"All seven sports made a strong case for inclusion, and the EB carefully evaluated them in a transparent and fair process. In the end, the decision came down to which two would add the most value,” said IOC President Jacques Rogge, who elected not to take part in the vote. “Golf and rugby will be a great addition to the Games."

The key factors in determining a sport’s suitability for the Olympic programme include youth appeal, universality, popularity, good governance, respect for athletes and respect for the Olympic values.

"Golf and rugby scored high on all the criteria," Rogge said. "They have global appeal, a geographically diverse line-up of top iconic athletes and an ethic that stresses fair play."

During the 119th Session in Guatemala in 2007, the IOC approved a simplified voting process for new sport to enter the programme. The IOC members also requested guidance from the EB in the selection of the new sports, and entrusted it to make a proposal based on the work of the Olympic Programme Commission.

All seven sports had a chance to make their case to the Olympic Programme Commission in November 2008 and to the IOC EB in June 2009. Federations were also able to review their section of the report submitted to the EB.
Kathie Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2009, 03:18 PM   #2
Kathie Fry
Forum Host
 
Kathie Fry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Venice Beach, California USA
Posts: 2,082
Default New Olympic Sports in 2016: Golf and Rugby

From the IOC on August 13, 2009: "The International Olympic Committee (IOC) Executive Board proposed today the list of 26 core sports and 2 additional sports, golf and rugby, to be included in the 2016 Olympic Programme."

The IOC's reasons for the selection: "The key factors in determining a sport’s suitability for the Olympic programme include youth appeal, universality, popularity, good governance, respect for athletes and respect for the Olympic values. "Golf and rugby scored high on all the criteria," Rogge said. “They have global appeal, a geographically diverse line-up of top iconic athletes and an ethic that stresses fair play."
____________

Personally I think the reason has mostly to do with the "global appeal" aspect of the sport as in (a) ability to attract sponsors, (b) ability to attract television viewers, (c) ability to attract spectators and press to their events.

Read Full Article:
Olympic Committee Recomends Golf and Rugby
(press released issued by IOC August 13, 2009)
______________________

Last edited by Kathie Fry; August 13th, 2009 at 06:36 PM.
Kathie Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2009, 03:21 PM   #3
Jessica
Queen of the Mile
 
Jessica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Tampa
Posts: 2,102
Default

Yeah, golf sure does have youth appeal
__________________
Eternally Hungry Skinsuited Weenie
Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2009, 03:33 PM   #4
Npawn
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Inverness, Florida
Posts: 488
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathie Fry View Post
From the IOC on August 13, 2009: "The International Olympic Committee (IOC) Executive Board proposed today the list of 26 core sports and 2 additional sports, golf and rugby, to be included in the 2016 Olympic Programme."

The IOC's reasons for the selection: "The key factors in determining a sport’s suitability for the Olympic programme include youth appeal, universality, popularity, good governance, respect for athletes and respect for the Olympic values. "Golf and rugby scored high on all the criteria,” Rogge said. “They have global appeal, a geographically diverse line-up of top iconic athletes and an ethic that stresses fair play."

Personally I think the reason has mostly to do with the "global appeal" aspect of the sport as in (a) ability to attract sponsors, (b) ability to attract television viewers, (c) ability to attract spectators to their events.

Read Full Article:
Olympic Committee Recomends Golf and Rugby
(press released issued by IOC August 13, 2009)
______________________

Yes because as a youth, I found golf to be INSANELY APPEALING... oh wait I was out skating.
Npawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2009, 03:37 PM   #5
rwsz
Senior Member
 
rwsz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: mass
Posts: 6,675
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica View Post
Yeah, golf sure does have youth appeal

is golf a sport,,,,,,,bunch of old fat man out of shape walking around hitting a stationary ball. more of a game to me,,,whats next chess and tiddy winks.
__________________
Ciao Rick
rwsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2009, 04:30 PM   #6
hoffmonster
Senior Member
 
hoffmonster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 221
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Npawn View Post
Yes because as a youth, I found golf to be INSANELY APPEALING... oh wait I was out skating.
The people that find golf insanely appealing are the ones with very, very deep pockets. However, they better be careful about the US Open, the British Open, and the PGA Championship, not being at the same time as the olympics, or they will have an attendance problem.. Currently no golfer cares more about anything than winning a major.
I am an avid golfer so my perspective on that addition is that it is a good one.. Rugby however.. I could give a rats patootie about. They considered one thing, and one thing only. the ability to bring money to the IOC, period. No other reasons are needed. I just wish they were a little more forthcoming about that. all the sportsmanship BS, is just fluff
hoffmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2009, 04:37 PM   #7
kufman
Senior Member
 
kufman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Illinois
Posts: 3,042
Default

Unreal, this is very disappointing. I hope the IOC likes watching grass grow because that is about the most exciting thing you will see with golf.
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2009, 04:39 PM   #8
rwsz
Senior Member
 
rwsz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: mass
Posts: 6,675
Default

no kidding,,,,,boring,,slow,,,,rugby is ok as a sport,,,but golf is a game for old fat men like me lol. sure a couple of young good ones but they hit a stationary ball and walk slowly around a course, please!!!!!!!!!!!!
__________________
Ciao Rick
rwsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2009, 05:02 PM   #9
hoffmonster
Senior Member
 
hoffmonster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 221
Default

I have to defend Golf for a sec.. Rugby, I could care less about, mainly because I have no exposure to it. I will not denegrate something I have no knowledge about. I just don't care about it.
Before people start dogging golf, if you have never played it, I can say you have no idea what you are talking about, none, zip, nada. You have no idea the skill and stamina it takes to play the game they way the pros do, at the level they do. you have no idea how much effort goes into playing the game they way they do (what you do not see on TV). It's all about perspective. Comparing someone like Tiger, or Ernie Els, to a fat old guy riding a cart is just stupid, and shows ones ignorance about the sport.
If you have fine, I'll respect that perspective. Watching it is a whole different ballgame (pun intended) so I can understand that from most people. One cannot deny the appeal. There is a Major tourney going on this weekend, and there is TV coverage from end to end (all 4 days).
they would not be doing that if someone out there did not think it was exciting (myself included)

a Sport is not all about brute force, strength, and endurance, it would be good if we all remembered that. if it were, hunting would not be considered a sport, but it is, and shooting happens to be in the olympics. So is archery. How many fat guys are out there with their guns, and bows are out shooting deer, and anything else that moves.
hoffmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2009, 05:08 PM   #10
rwsz
Senior Member
 
rwsz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: mass
Posts: 6,675
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmonster View Post
I have to defend Golf for a sec.. Rugby, I could care less about, mainly because I have no exposure to it. I will not denegrate something I have no knowledge about. I just don't care about it.
Before people start dogging golf, if you have never played it, I can say you have no idea what you are talking about, none, zip, nada. You have no idea the skill and stamina it takes to play the game they way the pros do, at the level they do. you have no idea how much effort goes into playing the game they way they do (what you do not see on TV). It's all about perspective. Comparing someone like Tiger, or Ernie Els, to a fat old guy riding a cart is just stupid, and shows ones ignorance about the sport.
If you have fine, I'll respect that perspective. Watching it is a whole different ballgame (pun intended) so I can understand that from most people. One cannot deny the appeal. There is a Major tourney going on this weekend, and there is TV coverage from end to end (all 4 days).
they would not be doing that if someone out there did not think it was exciting (myself included)

a Sport is not all about brute force, strength, and endurance, it would be good if we all remembered that. if it were, hunting would not be considered a sport, but it is, and shooting happens to be in the olympics. So is archery. How many fat guys are out there with their guns, and bows are out shooting deer, and anything else that moves.

i have played golf and have many friends that addicted to it. at the level of tiger and the stamina i see it. just feel its a game and not a sport. it has intensity, nerves, etc. boring to watch for some but i can enjoy it when i am not doing much, or watching the playoff game a couple of weeks ago after nerves cost the competitor the game on the 18th.

i dont consider artery or shooting a sport either to be honest. mental yes, skill yes you have to have it. my idea of a sport is different from some. as much as i dont care for water polo its more of a sport then the others i mentioned. but its just my opinion nothing more or less.

of course those of us around skating for a long time in the competitive part knew it wouldnt be approved. best shot was like 30 years ago and it didnt happen.
__________________
Ciao Rick
rwsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2009, 05:27 PM   #11
hoffmonster
Senior Member
 
hoffmonster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 221
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsz View Post
of course those of us around skating for a long time in the competitive part knew it wouldnt be approved. best shot was like 30 years ago and it didnt happen.
Have to agree here, I never believed that rollersports would make it, and doubt it ever will without some very big money to "grease the wheels" so to speak.. too bad.. Our sport is as competitve, and appealing, and deserving as any other out there, IMHO. Just wish we had the exposure... We need more exposure. Which will bring the money needed.No different than what a lot of the folks have been saying on this, and every other forum related to skating..
hoffmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2009, 05:52 PM   #12
Letme
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Slovenia (Europe)
Posts: 1,452
Default

My perspective for golf? HAhahahahahaha.
Stamina? Are you kidding me? How much do you skate comparing to their walk? they walk what 40km (that means no much hurry, HR is 120 max, you have all the time in the world), and you skate what... 60km per day (with HR mostly around 170)? So stamina is out, crossed, laughed.
Excitement? He hits the ball and it flies... flies... affected by wind, water, spits, breath... when he hits it there is nothing much he can do anyways if he hit it right or wrong.
Mental nerves? Go play Computer games (First person shooters) its same crap and its even more adrenaline rush since you dont know what is behind corner so its also more Exciting than golf.

Golf is a game, just as Computer games are. Archery and such is sports are in there because they were respected skill by ancients who required that skill to hunt for food. With golf you can probably kill a bird if you're lucky as well but thats only if you're lucky.

Rugby: ok at least its a sport, they run, have tactics, excitement, but i was really expecting that Inlines would beat it if not be beside it... that golf part is disappointing.

I agree that this time most money to IOC made a deal. We are just too poor to bribe some of delegates to vote ourway. Very very very sad decision. I think this will end most hopes of developing inline skating in my country.
__________________
My speed roller skating club can be found on http://www.rklj.si
Bont distributor for South-East Europe. Online shop can be found on http://www.bont.si
Letme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2009, 06:06 PM   #13
Letme
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Slovenia (Europe)
Posts: 1,452
Default

omg we scored a 0... nobody likes us
http://multimedia.olympic.org/pdf/en_report_1453.pdf

That seems like it was real lame lobbying by FIRS...
__________________
My speed roller skating club can be found on http://www.rklj.si
Bont distributor for South-East Europe. Online shop can be found on http://www.bont.si
Letme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2009, 06:08 PM   #14
hoffmonster
Senior Member
 
hoffmonster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 221
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letme View Post
My perspective for golf? HAhahahahahaha.
Stamina? Are you kidding me? How much do you skate comparing to their walk? they walk what 40km (that means no much hurry, HR is 120 max, you have all the time in the world), and you skate what... 60km per day (with HR mostly around 170)? So stamina is out, crossed, laughed.
Excitement? He hits the ball and it flies... flies... affected by wind, water, spits, breath... when he hits it there is nothing much he can do anyways if he hit it right or wrong.
Mental nerves? Go play Computer games (First person shooters) its same crap and its even more adrenaline rush since you dont know what is behind corner so its also more Exciting than golf. .

Ever played? Ever had to putt with a 1,000,000$ or more on the line, with thousands standing right there, and millions on TV watching? I'm guessing not. I bet your HR would be pretty high too.. Hell, mine goes sky high just putting for an Eagle/Birdie with nothing more on the line, than a good score. Golf may not have been around in ancient times, but it is over 600 years old, a lot older than many/most other sports currently in the olympics, including all winter sports.
I could be wrong here, but I get the idea you have never played, so your perspective is that of not having clue # 1 what you are talking about. Comparing it to a video game was proof enough to me of this fact.
hoffmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2009, 06:20 PM   #15
kufman
Senior Member
 
kufman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Illinois
Posts: 3,042
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmonster View Post
I have to defend Golf for a sec.. Rugby, I could care less about, mainly because I have no exposure to it. I will not denegrate something I have no knowledge about. I just don't care about it.
Before people start dogging golf, if you have never played it, I can say you have no idea what you are talking about, none, zip, nada. You have no idea the skill and stamina it takes to play the game they way the pros do, at the level they do. you have no idea how much effort goes into playing the game they way they do (what you do not see on TV). It's all about perspective. Comparing someone like Tiger, or Ernie Els, to a fat old guy riding a cart is just stupid, and shows ones ignorance about the sport.
If you have fine, I'll respect that perspective. Watching it is a whole different ballgame (pun intended) so I can understand that from most people. One cannot deny the appeal. There is a Major tourney going on this weekend, and there is TV coverage from end to end (all 4 days).
they would not be doing that if someone out there did not think it was exciting (myself included)

a Sport is not all about brute force, strength, and endurance, it would be good if we all remembered that. if it were, hunting would not be considered a sport, but it is, and shooting happens to be in the olympics. So is archery. How many fat guys are out there with their guns, and bows are out shooting deer, and anything else that moves.
Yup, I played golf competativley for 5 years in high school and college but I can't call it a sport. It is a game just like chess and it more like a board game than anything else. The only thing that makes it stressful on the body is having to wear long parts and a nice shirt when it is 100+ degrees outside.

In my opinion there are way to many "games" in the Olympics. My own personal opinion is that games don't belong in the Olympics (I am aware that they do call it it the Olympics games, but that is another topic). I would like to see only "pure" sports in the olympics, NO JUDGED SPORTS like figure skating. Cut and dry measures of physical strength and endurance. Either you lifted 400 lbs or you didn't. Either you made it from point A to point B the fastest or you didn't. None of this, well she did the triple flip but I think I liked it 0.0001 less than another one I saw. That is just crap and has no place in the Olympics. I realize that many sports do not fit this profile, but then again it is just my opinion.
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2009, 07:20 PM   #16
hoffmonster
Senior Member
 
hoffmonster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 221
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kufman View Post
Yup, I played golf competativley for 5 years in high school and college but I can't call it a sport. It is a game just like chess and it more like a board game than anything else. The only thing that makes it stressful on the body is having to wear long parts and a nice shirt when it is 100+ degrees outside.

In my opinion there are way to many "games" in the Olympics. My own personal opinion is that games don't belong in the Olympics (I am aware that they do call it it the Olympics games, but that is another topic). I would like to see only "pure" sports in the olympics, NO JUDGED SPORTS like figure skating. Cut and dry measures of physical strength and endurance. Either you lifted 400 lbs or you didn't. Either you made it from point A to point B the fastest or you didn't. None of this, well she did the triple flip but I think I liked it 0.0001 less than another one I saw. That is just crap and has no place in the Olympics. I realize that many sports do not fit this profile, but then again it is just my opinion.
Can't disagree with most of what you said Kuf, except golf not being a sport, I've been playing over 25 years, I love it, it's not easy and does require a level of fitness in order to be very good at it. Totally agree that anything that uses subjectivity as a measure for win or lose, is not what I want to see in the games.. although it is called the Olympic games, not the Olympic sports...
hoffmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2009, 07:48 PM   #17
skaterdog
Senior Member
 
skaterdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,399
Default

Golf is a great sport that I like to watch.

The thing I don't want to see is a bunch of millionaire pro golfers playing in the Olympics.

That's why roller sports make more sense for the Olympics.

From what I can tell a lot of it is how the various organizations promoted their sports to the committee. Apparently golf and rugby did a better job of that.
skaterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2009, 07:57 PM   #18
Kathie Fry
Forum Host
 
Kathie Fry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Venice Beach, California USA
Posts: 2,082
Default How to Promote Our Sport

I'm sure how well the federations promoted their events had something to do with the choice but I think we mostly lost out because our events don't attract big-name sponsors, television and news coverage, and audiences. It's true, they don't, right? I think if we could change that we would have a much better chance. How can we make people want to see inline speed skating events on television and in person?

- Kathie
Kathie Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2009, 10:17 PM   #19
Letme
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Slovenia (Europe)
Posts: 1,452
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmonster View Post
Ever played? Ever had to putt with a 1,000,000$ or more on the line, with thousands standing right there, and millions on TV watching? I'm guessing not. I bet your HR would be pretty high too.. Hell, mine goes sky high just putting for an Eagle/Birdie with nothing more on the line, than a good score. Golf may not have been around in ancient times, but it is over 600 years old, a lot older than many/most other sports currently in the olympics, including all winter sports.
I could be wrong here, but I get the idea you have never played, so your perspective is that of not having clue # 1 what you are talking about. Comparing it to a video game was proof enough to me of this fact.
Sorry to tell you but I did play. I was helped by friend who gave me sticks as he knew which stick is for which shot.
I played ice-hockey for 15 years and when you need to hit a goal where goalkeeper DEFENDS it, while defenseman PUNCHES you, while you are MOVING, and while every other person on field is against you, in front of TV and numerous friends, fans, TEAM, COACH... THAT IS CALLED SPORT.
Not when you have ages to check wind speed, prepare your punch, pick right stick, everything you need to make that punch. That is called game. Just like snooker. Just like Computer game.
And to tell you the truth 1st and last time I played I was 1-3 above par at each hole. So how would you define that? And that was purely cuz I was having hard time at putters or how you guys call when you're really close to hole. I guess I'll just sell skates and buy few sticks for golf. Hell after 7 years I'll be old enough to be called fat oldie easily.

@Kathie: I was preparing some stuff like in videos of person races and such with some poor technology but for real deal, our sport would need some money injection. Especially WIC and big marathons like Berlin's. I really hope
__________________
My speed roller skating club can be found on http://www.rklj.si
Bont distributor for South-East Europe. Online shop can be found on http://www.bont.si
Letme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2009, 10:50 PM   #20
andr_gin
Senior Member
 
andr_gin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 361
Default

I think Golf may be funny to play, but very boring to watch.
andr_gin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.