S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | SkateLog.com | Email    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum is Moving to SkateDebate Dot Com ***
(select above link for more information)

How To Get a User Account in the New SkateDebate Forum
(new home of the SkateLog Forum)

How To Get a User Account in the SkateLog Forum
(Note: this forum is going off-line in June of 2020)

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Artistic Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to artistic roller skating including quad artistic skating, inline figure skating, pairs, dance, synchronized skating, and show skating.

Old March 16th, 2007, 11:56 PM   #1
rolaboi
I am Rollerboy

Quote:
www.skatingidea.wordpress.com result artistic skating, result show group and precision italy2007 link and other news: www.porto2007.com european competition show&precision
thanks... very exciting news about Luca D'Alisera etc. moving to ICE!!! wow!

Last edited by Kathie Fry; March 17th, 2007 at 11:55 AM.
rolaboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2007, 12:57 AM   #2
rwsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolaboi View Post
thanks... very exciting news about Luca D'Alisera etc. moving to ICE!!! wow!
wow Luca going to ice,,,must be looking for the bucks lol. good luck to him, will be interesting to see how he does. what do you think J, will he do ok or have problems adjusting to the landings?
Old March 17th, 2007, 01:53 AM   #3
rolaboi
I am Rollerboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsz View Post
wow Luca going to ice,,,must be looking for the bucks lol. good luck to him, will be interesting to see how he does. what do you think J, will he do ok or have problems adjusting to the landings?
rick that could be so.. but also look at it from an athletes point of view...

Luca is YOUNG.. 24.. he has won worlds in junior/senior, combined and singles...
what is left for him? He has beaten Riva and taken top honors..

There is so much left in Luca, but what can our sport offer him? NOTHING.

Ice will present him new challenges, great ones.. challenges that could see him do the sport he loves for another 5-10yrs...

I respect his every wish, and I'm sure you do to... but the financials also play a big role too.. consider the many athletes, like myself who have skated/competed for 20yrs + and not made a cent from competing and had to pay to go to worlds EVERY SINGLE YEAR at approximately $6000.00 per trip... times that by 18 world meets!

Anyways, Luca is not the only one.. Roberto Riva was also approached in 2005 by the Ice federation, and like D'Alisera, .. .Riva is also very intoxicated by the idea... and why not! Sadly, Riva did not follow through, but I am sure the time will come...

Good luck to them all... its fantastic news...
Old March 17th, 2007, 02:04 AM   #4
Latinboy

I don't think it will be hard for Luca in ice. Everyting is easier on ice; I have done it before. I got into ice a couple of months ago to try it out,and it was WAY easier than roller skating. Spins are easier and jumps are like two times easier. I can even do an axel on ice skates!!
Latinboy
Latinboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2007, 02:08 AM   #5
rolaboi
I am Rollerboy

YES ice is very easy... but roller skaters LOOK LIKE ROLLER SKATERS on ice... the key is LEARNING TO SKATE, not to jump and spin.. while there are difference, roller skaters skate FLAT... on the ice, its impossible... Dance roller skaters make the transition beautifully.. Singles skaters look clumsy and grind into the ice!! but yes, the jumping is easy and you can do anything you can do on roller, on the ice, within a month!
Old March 17th, 2007, 02:18 AM   #6
Latinboy

Quote:
YES ice is very easy... but roller skaters LOOK LIKE ROLLER SKATERS on ice... the key is LEARNING TO SKATE, not to jump and spin.. while there are difference, roller skaters skate FLAT... on the ice, its impossible... Dance roller skaters make the transition beautifully.. Singles skaters look clumsy and grind into the ice!! but yes, the jumping is easy and you can do anything you can do on roller, on the ice, within a month!
Yes, I know that, and I started in roller skating first not in ice. I say that ice skating is easier because you don't have to press a lot on spins, the skate is lighter, and that you can land with an arm down and save the jump easier tha in roller skating.
Old March 17th, 2007, 02:30 AM   #7
rolaboi
I am Rollerboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinboy View Post
... and that you can land with an arm down and save the jump easier tha in roller skating.
How does that work???
Old March 17th, 2007, 03:04 AM   #8
rwsz

Quote:
rick that could be so.. but also look at it from an athletes point of view...

Luca is YOUNG.. 24.. he has won worlds in junior/senior, combined and singles...
what is left for him? He has beaten Riva and taken top honors..

There is so much left in Luca, but what can our sport offer him? NOTHING.

Ice will present him new challenges, great ones.. challenges that could see him do the sport he loves for another 5-10yrs...

I respect his every wish, and I'm sure you do to... but the financials also play a big role too.. consider the many athletes, like myself who have skated/competed for 20yrs + and not made a cent from competing and had to pay to go to worlds EVERY SINGLE YEAR at approximately $6000.00 per trip... times that by 18 world meets!

Anyways, Luca is not the only one.. Roberto Riva was also approached in 2005 by the Ice federation, and like D'Alisera, .. .Riva is also very intoxicated by the idea... and why not! Sadly, Riva did not follow through, but I am sure the time will come...

Good luck to them all... its fantastic news...
Jayson i cant disagree with you at all and i do agree, the only other thing he could do is win worlds one more time and tie Scott C. its a shame you had to spend all that money to go to worlds and your federation didnt support you. until now the usa team never had to pay, last year had to pay part of it. this year they are suppose to have support for them so they dont have to pay.

Ice will be a new challenge for Luca and he will be able to compete longer and maybe make a living at it. Maybe Riva will go to as he is even younger then Luca. i thought Luca was like 26 or so, Joshs age as they competed against each other in jwc also.

Like you say good luck to Luca and we hope he can win an olympic medal. will he have to meet all the tests to skate ice at senior level or will he just skate it for Italy.
Old March 17th, 2007, 03:39 AM   #9
rolaboi
I am Rollerboy

Josh went Senior in 1998 and Luca skated Junior in 98,99.. so he's 2yrs younger... still young though..
Old March 17th, 2007, 05:07 AM   #10
Latinboy

Quote:
How does that work???
Well, I saw on tv that when ice skaters landed some jumps, they landed with one of their arms down. So when I went got a chance to go to an ice rink, I landed a jump with an arm down and I didn't fall.
Old March 17th, 2007, 02:45 PM   #11
rwsz

Quote:
Josh went Senior in 1998 and Luca skated Junior in 98,99.. so he's 2yrs younger... still young though..
Thanks i didnt realize that so Luca must have a b day coming up soon to be 25, Josh turned 27 a couple of weeks ago. i remember when Anna came over she was Lucas girlfriend just before that and she was a bit younger then my son who is 26. thanks for the info, seems Lucas been around wc longer then that lol.
Old March 17th, 2007, 11:06 PM   #12
rwsz

Quote:
Jayson i cant disagree with you at all and i do agree, the only other thing he could do is win worlds one more time and tie Scott C. its a shame you had to spend all that money to go to worlds and your federation didnt support you. until now the usa team never had to pay, last year had to pay part of it. this year they are suppose to have support for them so they dont have to pay.

Ice will be a new challenge for Luca and he will be able to compete longer and maybe make a living at it. Maybe Riva will go to as he is even younger then Luca. i thought Luca was like 26 or so, Joshs age as they competed against each other in jwc also.

Like you say good luck to Luca and we hope he can win an olympic medal. will he have to meet all the tests to skate ice at senior level or will he just skate it for Italy.
I stand corrected, Luca D'alisera won worlds 3 times and not 4 so he would have to win worlds 2 more times to tie Scotts record. it was Luca Lallai that won world 4 years in a row and then retired.
Old March 17th, 2007, 11:30 PM   #13
rolaboi
I am Rollerboy

yep, thats right... and Lallai would have won easily in 2003 so its a shame he didnt skate again... 2004 could have been his sixth.. D'Alisera's greatest performance at worlds, since 1997,98, 02, was definately 2006.. in fact, Italy were so stupid for not sending him in 2000, he would have won for sure... but politics are politics and well, that's why he wasnt there! But his routine for that year was amazing, and possibly my favourite.. he did it at the Europeans and it was just really really different, right out there.. (hence him not going!)

Old March 17th, 2007, 11:38 PM   #14
rwsz

Quote:
yep, thats right... and Lallai would have won easily in 2003 so its a shame he didnt skate again... 2004 could have been his sixth.. D'Alisera's greatest performance at worlds, since 1997,98, 02, was definately 2006.. in fact, Italy were so stupid for not sending him in 2000, he would have won for sure... but politics are politics and well, that's why he wasnt there! But his routine for that year was amazing, and possibly my favourite.. he did it at the Europeans and it was just really really different, right out there.. (hence him not going!)

i was at worlds in 200 in springfield and shocked when i saw he wasnt there, i never did get to see his short or long for that year but i believe u if u say it was amazing. didnt you hurt your ankle that year, was it the short or long? i felt bad for you even though i didnt know you then as i do now. i knew who you were though
Old March 18th, 2007, 03:28 AM   #15
rolaboi
I am Rollerboy

Quote:
i was at worlds in 200 in springfield and shocked when i saw he wasnt there, i never did get to see his short or long for that year but i believe u if u say it was amazing. didnt you hurt your ankle that year, was it the short or long? i felt bad for you even though i didnt know you then as i do now. i knew who you were though
let's not even think about that! hahaa.. why I bothered skating that year I dont know.. it was a nightmare all year... but thnks! haha.. and to think I missed Melissa George's wedding to skate worlds.. damn...
Old March 20th, 2007, 04:33 AM   #16
oceanangel

Default rollers to ice

Quote:

hey you guys! theres a huge advantage switching from rollers to ice. the strenght you aquire from rollers is incredible! if your that good on rollers, it is so easy to make the transition. i dont know why more skaters dont make the change when they become elite skaters. thats an old saying from roller skaters that they look like roller skaters when they are on the ice. the key to any real good ice skater is to have silent edges which is easy to accomplish. another saying is that they cheat their jumps, but yes you can drop your arm and like any freestyle skater knows, its a real possibility that your either going to fall, touch down, or over rotate ( step out of your jump). it happens to all jumpers. here are some good examples of elite roller skaters gone to ice. Tara Lapinski, apollo ono, and that guy who won, i think 4 gold medals in speed at the last olympics. i forgot his name but his father owns a rink in the south and he won many comps on rollers. i believe roller skater have a big advantage to ice, if they can afford to make the switch financially. it takes at least 50.000 dollars to produce a champion on ice. if they were smart they would combine their training with rollers.
oceanangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2007, 09:12 AM   #17
rolaboi
I am Rollerboy

tara lapinski: yes, ice champion but hardly 'elite' on roller before the crossover.. wasnt she like 9 or something... and just in a primary division.. i think that classification would apply more so to D'Alisera if he were to make the transition... however, yes.. good roller skaters can make the change very easily.. there's plenty of proof in that. and there is another post somewhere in this forum where we name many of them..
Old March 20th, 2007, 11:20 AM   #18
rwsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanangel View Post
hey you guys! theres a huge advantage switching from rollers to ice. the strenght you aquire from rollers is incredible! if your that good on rollers, it is so easy to make the transition. i dont know why more skaters dont make the change when they become elite skaters. thats an old saying from roller skaters that they look like roller skaters when they are on the ice. the key to any real good ice skater is to have silent edges which is easy to accomplish. another saying is that they cheat their jumps, but yes you can drop your arm and like any freestyle skater knows, its a real possibility that your either going to fall, touch down, or over rotate ( step out of your jump). it happens to all jumpers. here are some good examples of elite roller skaters gone to ice. Tara Lapinski, apollo ono, and that guy who won, i think 4 gold medals in speed at the last olympics. i forgot his name but his father owns a rink in the south and he won many comps on rollers. i believe roller skater have a big advantage to ice, if they can afford to make the switch financially. it takes at least 50.000 dollars to produce a champion on ice. if they were smart they would combine their training with rollers.

you hit the nail on the head when you said $50,000, as most roller skaters dont have that kind of money or they would have done ice earlier. i really think the key is to go to ice early as Tara did when she was around 9 or 10. in speed its a little different as many skaters have won medals doing it later, Jen Rodriguez, and i think your talking about chad Herrick from down south.
Old March 20th, 2007, 12:09 PM   #19
bobnva

Quote:
tara lapinski: yes, ice champion but hardly 'elite' on roller before the crossover.. wasnt she like 9 or something... and just in a primary division.. i think that classification would apply more so to D'Alisera if he were to make the transition... however, yes.. good roller skaters can make the change very easily.. there's plenty of proof in that. and there is another post somewhere in this forum where we name many of them..
She finished juvenile in roller. She had won I believe 4 national titles and had progressed to double axle level before leaving roller, she did train roller and ice at the same time for awhile. While not in the WC division with her content and titles I could see why he considered her elite level.
bobnva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2007, 04:18 PM   #20
rwsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnva View Post
She finished juvenile in roller. She had won I believe 4 national titles and had progressed to double axle level before leaving roller, she did train roller and ice at the same time for awhile. While not in the WC division with her content and titles I could see why he considered her elite level.
hi its funny i remember one of our skaters skated against her in primary i think and tied her in singles. this skated later became a us national champion in world class dance and a silver medalist at worlds, it was Tammy Gummow. Jayson i am sure you met her and Kevin at worlds. like u said Tara did both for awhile and then just stayed with ice as her mother determined it was better for her in the long run as evident with the results and the money she earned.