S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Skating Forum Most of the discussions in this forum will be about inline speed skating but discussions about ice speed skating and quad roller speed skating are also welcome.

View Poll Results: What is your weakest link?
Cardiovascular 8 19.51%
Ankles collapsing. 4 9.76%
Lower legs / calves. 0 0%
Knee pain. 1 2.44%
Upper leg muscles. 4 9.76%
Lower back pain. 11 26.83%
Overall breakdown of Form. 8 19.51%
Other. 5 12.20%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 10th, 2009, 03:56 AM   #1
BWI-Sheldon
Pro Bike Chaser

Default What is your weakest link - Poll

In a race or training skate distance between 13.1 and 26.2 miles, what is your weakest link?
BWI-Sheldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2009, 11:19 AM   #2
hoffmonster

on top of low back pain, which has eased because of a focus on core mucles.
I think you left one off...
Sprint, which is a very close # 2 to my # 1... I would like to have a better sprint.
hoffmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2009, 11:20 AM   #3
evilzzz

Lower back pain for me. Seems to be popular!

If your back's in agony every time you "assume the position" then you're losing a massive amount of efficiency in having the adopt an upright position, and everything else is compromised.
This is something I'm gradually working on and improving simply by skating more miles in a crouched position. You can do all the off-skate training you want, but there's really no substitute for putting the miles in in order to overcome this, I find.
evilzzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2009, 12:13 PM   #4
BWI-Sheldon
Pro Bike Chaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmonster View Post
on top of low back pain, which has eased because of a focus on core mucles.
I think you left one off...
Sprint, which is a very close # 2 to my # 1... I would like to have a better sprint.
I wanted to keep it just to physical limitations that break us. I guess we could put out a "our weakest technical" poll.

But for me, I can't sprint worth beans.
BWI-Sheldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2009, 12:58 PM   #5
hoffmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWI-Sheldon View Post
I wanted to keep it just to physical limitations that break us. I guess we could put out a "our weakest technical" poll.

But for me, I can't sprint worth beans.
Yep us older farts have that classic foot speed issue, at least that is what contributes to my sucky sprint.. maybe that is another weakness..
Slow foot speed...

On top of old age. a good candidate for "other" I guess, haha
hoffmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2009, 03:25 PM   #6
LezSk8

Location: Longwood, Florida, 1 1/2 miles from the Seminole Wekiva Trail.

hoffmonster wrote: "Yep us older farts have that classic foot speed issue, at least that is what contributes to my sucky sprint.. maybe that is another weakness...Slow foot speed..."

According to my HS basketball coach I had that problem at age 15. I'm used to it by now (quite a few years later! LOL)

Trying to get stronger as I get older is my biggest problem...but,...

LezSk8!
Old September 10th, 2009, 03:36 PM   #7
eighteen_psi
Big Van Vaypor

Cardio by miles.
eighteen_psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2009, 06:25 PM   #8
Spencer.Berry

Cardio has always been my strong point. And I can keep my back almost horizontal for 30+ miles and usually don't have problems there, except occasionally. After changing a few technique/alignment issues in the past year, my lower legs and ankles can handle 110's fine (except maybe on sprints). I think I'll see the most improvement in the next 6 months by building more raw horsepower in the upper legs/quads/glutes.
Spencer.Berry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2009, 06:34 PM   #9
andr_gin

Lower back pain is only a problem in training sometimes, but not in a race.
My problem has always been my heart. Last Saturday I did a half marathon in 44:24 with a average HR of 174 and max of 190. My feet can also do a marathon without problems at that speed, but not my heart.
andr_gin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2009, 07:53 PM   #10
BHerrick
I can haz speed?

Cardio is my biggest weakness. At one time I would have said sprinting, but once I started putting time in, I improved fairly quickly at first. My lack of aerobic conditioning ended up limiting the amount I could work on sprints or intervals. Didn't take much to burn up.

I haven't had any back pain since the beginning of the year. That might change because I cut back on skating for a while.
Old September 10th, 2009, 07:56 PM   #11
MNGreene
No Witty Title

How about this as a weak link:

carrying extra...ahem....baggage

which can kill your cardio, muscles, etc. (basically make the poll answer all or most of the above)
MNGreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2009, 09:40 PM   #12
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

I put breakdown of form, but I think I reallly mean, I just plain got no form.

Plus, in a race, my weak link is being 6'2" and 180 lbs. At 5'4" and 140 there would be a lot more people I could draft.

And really, right now, I am just plain out of shape. I took some time off and lost a lot of what I had.
Bill in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2009, 10:02 PM   #13
eighteen_psi
Big Van Vaypor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNGreene View Post
How about this as a weak link:

carrying extra...ahem....baggage

which can kill your cardio, muscles, etc. (basically make the poll answer all or most of the above)
My being overweight has been a positive in lending me huge lower body strength reserves. Unless I'm doing specific drills, sprinting a lot, or climbing huge hills, my legs hardly even burn. I run out of wind to feed them long before they give up. It's annoying indoor in particular, knowing I have so much in reserve...'in five minutes'

Outdoor is a mixed blessing...unless I make a point of pushing myself I can cruise for a very long time without getting any kind of workout to speak of. The 110s like to 'move themselves' at low-intermediate speeds and tempt me to be lazy. + I've become very efficient, - 'cruising around' is no longer of any value whatsoever in the weight-loss game. Kinda bites because I love 'touring' on my skates almost as much as 'flying'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
And really, right now, I am just plain out of shape. I took some time off and lost a lot of what I had.
And there's this - slacking for a couple weeks costs me a month to get back. Eventually I'll learn Two steps forward, one step back?
eighteen_psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2009, 01:33 AM   #14
sportster44
Speed skater Wanna Be

Sprints, definitely sprints. Gotta do alot of interval training this winter
sportster44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2009, 03:49 AM   #15
online inline

Sprints aren't exactly my strong point, but i have gotten better at them. If you want to see your sprinting improve, try this: just get a section of your favorite trail marked off for a set distance, say a quarter mile or even a half mile. Then time yourself, keeping track of your results. Do it again in another week and see if you can better it. You need to come back to this challenge regularly.
I can almost guarantee that you will not improve unless you devise a means by which to measure your performance. And that means is either racing the clock or racing your skate nemesis (also a real good one!) Or have a cyclist lead out for you, with the goal of hanging with them for the sprint.

A nice derivation of this is to have your trail marked off in regular intervals. My fav trail is a cycling trail so it's marked every half mile. That way, by doing intervals, i can do a half mile sprint followed by a moderate half mile recovery, followed by a half mile sprint, etc., until the end. Keep a record of each time you do it (not measuring your overall time, but your times for each half mile sprint), with the personal best written at the top of the page.

Sprints aren't just about foot speed, it's also about getting a powerful stride (like more powerful than you could hope to maintain for many miles) and about getting an effective and powerful arm swing.
online inline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2009, 09:45 PM   #16
ncspeed
trouble maker :)

My weak point is form, but it is also the endurance of my legs at times, lung wise I am fine I am not that tired nor breathing heavy even after a hard fast drill, but it just my legs run out of gas at times it is like they are not getting enough oxygen, but that could also be happening cause of my form.

Indoors I like to turn my body inward and I do not swing my left arm I felt like if I did that would straighten up my body

"anonymous said Sorry, but my outfit would not look right with neon green wheels. "
ncspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2009, 11:19 PM   #17
Brandan

Lower back pain here too. I notice it more when I take a day or two off from training and then hit it hard for a few days. If I consistently stay in the swing of things, it seems to be fine.

Brandan
Brandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2009, 05:14 AM   #18
gopherfan
RealMilk.org

Hmm, I feel bad for those with back pain. That seems like a weird problem to me. It just seems unrelated to skating. Is it an issue that affects activities in the rest of your life?

As far as the 2nd most popular, over-all breakdown of form, it seems there has to be a more specific cause. In my case, the quads get tired and I can't stay low. I would have thought this would be the overwhelming most likely weakest link.
gopherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2009, 03:14 PM   #19
Dev Gnoll
Eater of Data

For me, it's just loss of focus.
That causes me to either forget about form or miss the formation of gaps in time to bridge up, or just do tactically stupid stuff like lose count of laps and sprint 2 miles too soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopherfan View Post
Hmm, I feel bad for those with back pain. That seems like a weird problem to me. It just seems unrelated to skating.
Back pain was an old one, however I've been working on keeping my butt low (instead of my head) and that pretty much elminates it. For me, back pain came around from trying to stay low and forgetting to bend my knees/drag my tail.

Who knew that cheese was dangerous?
Dev Gnoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2009, 03:27 PM   #20
Spencer.Berry

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopherfan View Post
As far as the 2nd most popular, over-all breakdown of form, it seems there has to be a more specific cause. In my case, the quads get tired and I can't stay low. I would have thought this would be the overwhelming most likely weakest link.
+1
Spencer.Berry is offline   Reply With Quote