S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Beginning Skaters Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginning Skaters Forum This is the place for beginning skaters to ask questions and share their stories. We would love to hear about your experiences learning to skate. No question is too dumb!

Old September 13th, 2009, 05:09 PM   #1
csrichie

Default Bearing Washing solution

I was not able to get my hands on some bearing cleaning solutions, and i was wondering if there is any solution i can buy at a hardware store to use for cleaning my bearings.

and could any one could provide me a bit of explanation to what i should use and what i shouldn't use to clean my bearings please

Thanks!
csrichie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2009, 06:30 PM   #2
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

mineral spirits work great.
Bill in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2009, 06:35 PM   #3
RandD
2500 Crash pad for this 1

I used degreaser that is 1:16 ratio with water and it worked fine.

I have seen that Bones recommends Acetone so I picked up a litre of it for next time, when I use Bones speed cream.......
RandD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2009, 05:13 AM   #4
Skateguy
"Fear No Evil"

Whatever you use, don't for get to rinse well.
Old September 14th, 2009, 07:31 AM   #5
inlina
ABEC42

Naptha (aka Shellite) is great. It evaporates quite quickly, but you will need to spin the bearings a few times during the drying to get it out of all the crevices.

CG
Old September 14th, 2009, 12:38 PM   #6
Skateguy
"Fear No Evil"

Anything you use to clean your bearings, if left to merely evaporate, will leave a film, that can be reactivated, once new oil is applied. It doesn't take much cleaner, to contaminate the fresh lube. Bearings could be "flushed" with oil, to remove all traces of the cleaning agent, then be left for the excess oil to drain out.--- Put some of your cleaning agent on a clean sheet of glass, and see what it leaves after it evaporates.
Old September 14th, 2009, 01:36 PM   #7
BWI-Sheldon
Pro Bike Chaser

After I clean them with mineral spirits, I wash them in 91% alcohol for a quick evaporation dry.
BWI-Sheldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2009, 03:41 PM   #8
RandD

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWI-Sheldon View Post
I wash them in 91% alcohol for a quick evaporation dry.

IE: Rubbing alcohol that would work wouldn't you say??

If I am correct that is what 91% alcohol is, Rubbing alcohol ??

I bought some of this Isopropyl Alcohol 99% alcohol. size 500ml

Last edited by RandD; September 20th, 2009 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Add to post
Old September 15th, 2009, 03:05 AM   #9
inlina
ABEC42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skateguy View Post
Anything you use to clean your bearings, if left to merely evaporate, will leave a film, that can be reactivated, once new oil is applied. It doesn't take much cleaner, to contaminate the fresh lube. Bearings could be "flushed" with oil, to remove all traces of the cleaning agent, then be left for the excess oil to drain out.--- Put some of your cleaning agent on a clean sheet of glass, and see what it leaves after it evaporates.
Double clean with Naptha...first is to get rid of 90% of the junk, second to get rid the the 9.9% and oily residue. Naptha will then evaporate in most environments quickly. You need to give the bearing a spin from time to time during drying to ensure it is out of the crevices.

Rinsing with oil it not going to do a lot for the bits of cleaning agent stuck in the crevices. Oil is typically thicker and doesn't penetrate where the traces of cleaning ageant are. If you are that concerned about traces of Naptha, you can warm the bearings with a hair dryer to aid evaporation.

CG

CG
Old September 15th, 2009, 04:15 AM   #10
BWI-Sheldon
Pro Bike Chaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandD View Post
IE: Rubbing alcohol that would work wouldn't you say??

If I am correct that is what 91% alcohol is, Rubbing alcohol ??

I bought some of this Isopropyl Alcohol 99% 500ml
Yup rubbing alcohol. 91% is the cheapest highest percent stuff I could find in Walmart.
BWI-Sheldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2009, 04:21 AM   #11
Skateguy
"Fear No Evil"

"Rinsing with oil it not going to do a lot for the bits of cleaning agent stuck in the crevices. Oil is typically thicker and doesn't penetrate where the traces of cleaning ageant are. If you are that concerned about traces of Naptha, you can warm the bearings with a hair dryer to aid evaporation."---Just for the sake of discussion here. But bits of cleaning agent stuck in crevasses, is called dirt, not cleaning agent, I do believe. When I mention "Cleaning agent residue". I mean the film that most all agent leave, once the carrier has evaporated. Wipe a mirror with what ever you clean your bearings with, and let it evoporate. that fim that remains, is what I say needs to rinsed of. Like the film soap leave on your dishes. which is why rinsing them is actually the most important step. ---I use to have to clean impellers for large pumps that were to pump Oxygen. We examined them under a black light. Even a finger print, could cause one to explode when in use. There could be zero residue.
Old September 15th, 2009, 08:46 AM   #12
inlina
ABEC42

Quote:
But bits of cleaning agent stuck in crevasses, is called dirt, not cleaning agent, I do believe. When I mention "Cleaning agent residue". I mean the film that most all agent leave, once the carrier has evaporated. Wipe a mirror with what ever you clean your bearings with, and let it evoporate. that fim that remains, is what I say needs to rinsed of. Like the film soap leave on your dishes. which is why rinsing them is actually the most important step. ---I use to have to clean impellers for large pumps that were to pump Oxygen. We examined them under a black light. Even a finger print, could cause one to explode when in use. There could be zero residue.
No, bits of cleaning agent stuck in crevasses are cleaning agent. Cleaning with any agent needs to be done twice to get rid of most of the crap in your bearings. If you are that concerned, buy an ultrasonic cleaner.

I don't have any significant residue left with with Naptha. The few times I used a citrus type cleaner I was left with a residue which should be rinsed away with water...but I am not a fan of water in bearing as that is very likely not to fully evaporate and potentially result in emulsification of the lube.

Comparing a fairly robust industrial/skate bearing with your critical impeller example is apples and oranges. If a little bit of dirt left behind is going to affect your bearing, it's time to quite skating (or maybe break out the cup & cones).

CG
Old September 15th, 2009, 01:31 PM   #13
Skateguy
"Fear No Evil"

Quote:
Originally Posted by inlina View Post
No, bits of cleaning agent stuck in crevasses are cleaning agent. Cleaning with any agent needs to be done twice to get rid of most of the crap in your bearings. If you are that concerned, buy an ultrasonic cleaner.

I don't have any significant residue left with with Naptha. The few times I used a citrus type cleaner I was left with a residue which should be rinsed away with water...but I am not a fan of water in bearing as that is very likely not to fully evaporate and potentially result in emulsification of the lube.

Comparing a fairly robust industrial/skate bearing with your critical impeller example is apples and oranges. If a little bit of dirt left behind is going to affect your bearing, it's time to quite skating (or maybe break out the cup & cones).

CG
I'm sorry. I wasn't trying to sell you on the idea. I don't really care how you personally choose to clean your bearing. that is your business. I was simply explaining how to clean them properly. If close enough is good for you, it's fine by me. But then why even bother? --I throw mine out, when they go bad, and put in new ones. I don't care for cleaning bearings.
Old September 16th, 2009, 02:49 AM   #14
inlina
ABEC42

Quote:
I'm sorry. I wasn't trying to sell you on the idea. I don't really care how you personally choose to clean your bearing. that is your business. I was simply explaining how to clean them properly. If close enough is good for you, it's fine by me. But then why even bother? --I throw mine out, when they go bad, and put in new ones. I don't care for cleaning bearings.
If you don't clean bearings, what makes you an authority on how to do it properly?

CG
Old September 16th, 2009, 03:49 AM   #15
Skateguy
"Fear No Evil"

Quote:
Originally Posted by inlina View Post
If you don't clean bearings, what makes you an authority on how to do it properly?

CG
You can lead a horse to water. do as you please. It makes no difference to me.
Old September 16th, 2009, 06:14 AM   #16
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Tell US your STORY

Hi ALL,

Quote:
Originally Posted by csrichie View Post
I was not able to get my hands on some bearing
cleaning solutions, and i was wondering if there is any solution i can buy at a hardware store to use for cleaning my bearings.

and could any one could provide me a bit of explanation to what i should use and what i shouldn't use to clean my bearings please

Thanks!
I see a lot of our regulars like me gave you their slant on cleaning chemicals. I know and really love some of these chemicals they listed. I know I am BAD.

Yet tell us your story?
Why have you come out to SkateLog and asked your question?

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave
MANY_SkatingDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2009, 04:42 PM   #17
Y-town911

I use paint thinner. After letting them set and shake them up to get out all the dirt I take them out and blow them out with an air compressor then oil them really well.
Y-town911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2009, 06:11 PM   #18
Armadillo

Default DANGER USING volitile hydrocarbon solvents indoors

While most of the more volitile hydrocarbon type solvents mentioned here are effective cleaners - naptha, mineral spirits, etc. , and 90% alcohol is also good too as a follow up rinse, all these items, if used INDOORS demand good ventilation and making sure you have NO NEARBY possible ignition sources!

I prefer charcoal lighter fluid, since it is MUCH LESS DANGEROUS indoors.
Yes, it does take longer to evaporate, even when blown out with air,
so rinsing with alcohol is a good idea to help speed this up.

With its cheap price and wide availability, combined with the extra safety, charcoal lighter fluid is hard to beat.

-Armadillo
Old September 20th, 2009, 08:05 PM   #19
RandD

Primarily the reason to clean bearing would be skating outside, so if cleaning them for this reason, it's probably safe to say the weather allowing you to use the outside air to disperse the gases from what ever cleaner you are using, and if your not in hurry to dry them let mother nature take care of it.........
Old September 20th, 2009, 11:56 PM   #20
janneman

Talking friendly

i'm with skateguy on the attention to residue.

and also on the friendly tone.........

for cleaning i'm from another planet i believe.....

I use citrusoil first to rinse away most of the grease/oil/dirt that's in

then I take a bowl of hot water from the tap, drip in disches-detergent (so what you normally use to do the disches manually....) in the bearings and let them in the sink. I still a bit with a brush. then i let the tap run and beat the bearings under the tap with an old toothbrush, untill they run with this Whhhheeezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz sound...

after rinsing them thouroughly with WATER I let them dry in the normal oven at 120 Celcius (not the microwave!)

then i add some white grease and oil - done. the grease spreads fabulous when the whole is still sizzling hot!