S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    


Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum > Outdoor Trails
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Outdoor Trails Tell us about your favorite outdoor skating trails.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 19th, 2009, 12:04 PM   #1
Dave Henniker
'60s Survivor
 
Dave Henniker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland
Posts: 31
Post Skating Cyclepaths Edinburgh Scotland

There are now a few videos I've done of skating some of the city's former railway lines, all on my web page at http://www.henniker.org.uk/html/_videos_skating.htm

Us lone, solitary skaters must devise innovative ways of video-ing ourselves. I used a smaller-than-thumbsize camcorder for the most recent videos. It's a MiniDV VD80 device which I attached to a bamboo cane.

This enabled me to video myself (ugly old pensioner) as well as views from all angles. The length of the cane ironed out the bumps but it was tricky to keep the camera vertical when it's behind you and 8 feet up. Even if you think my videos are crap, you might still be interested in the camera if you're obliged to skate on your lonesome.

I haven't yet made a video of Crewe Toll to Ocean Terminal which is rather a good journey with only one bumpy bit...

regards Dave.
Dave Henniker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2009, 01:51 PM   #2
LezSk8
Senior Member
 
LezSk8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Longwood, Florida, 1 1/2 miles from the Seminole Wekiva Trail.
Posts: 935
Default

Hi Dave and welcome! Thank you for the videos. Looks like it was a "Wee bonnie day is Scotland." Having fun skating and sharing the fun is what we are all about here on SLF. I'm impressed with your ability to keep the camera steady and targeted with it being mounted on a pole. Also the camera's ability to transition form the dark tunnel to the outside light without a white out period. Did you edit that out? I'll check out your other video later. Again, thanks for sharing, and...

LezSk8!
__________________
LezSk8 Central Florida!
Visit http://www.cftb.us for local trail & activity information.
LezSk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2009, 03:39 PM   #3
Drella
alive with pleasure
 
Drella's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Between Thought and Expression
Posts: 757
Default

You're too cool bro!

I love the camera on a stick you've utilized whilst skating!!!

I wonder if that's how A.-Graham Bell started?
Drella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2009, 09:57 AM   #4
peter
Senior Member
 
peter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Portsmouth, England
Posts: 380
Default

I was in Edinburgh in the summer for a couple of days. I spoted a few cycle paths that looked promissing, in partularl one from South Queensferry. Didnt have time to skate any though.

I also noticed a very long cycle path down the west side of Loch Lomond but didnt get a decent look at the quality of the surface
peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2009, 06:58 PM   #5
Dave Henniker
'60s Survivor
 
Dave Henniker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland
Posts: 31
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LezSk8 View Post
Hi Dave and welcome! Thank you for the videos. Looks like it was a "Wee bonnie day is Scotland." Having fun skating and sharing the fun is what we are all about here on SLF. I'm impressed with your ability to keep the camera steady and targeted with it being mounted on a pole. Also the camera's ability to transition form the dark tunnel to the outside light without a white out period. Did you edit that out? I'll check out your other video later. Again, thanks for sharing, and...

LezSk8!
No editing was done as far as tweaking shots or adjusting exposure. The tiny camera chips do auto exposure pretty well.

More later - snooker final on TV!

regards to all, Dave.
Dave Henniker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2009, 08:39 PM   #6
Skateguy
"Fear No Evil"
 
Skateguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Houston/Heights
Posts: 4,803
Default

Sure looks like beautiful country. If we had anything like that here , there would be hundreds of Skaters out there. You are lucky to have tha solitude.
__________________
"Skate Or Die"
Skateguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2009, 06:21 PM   #7
Dave Henniker
'60s Survivor
 
Dave Henniker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland
Posts: 31
Red face

Yes, there's a few peaceful places to skate round Edinburgh despite the hills. Choices are more limited now as autumn sets in because there's too many leaves and twigs and maybe damp slippery patches where there are trees.

Today I put on my skate-and-walk skates (well just the trainers) and got the 27 bus to Crewe Toll where there's no trees. I attached my wheels and cruised down towards Granton, going faster under West Granton Road this time as I now knew the route.

Further on I encountered the Scottie dog. Here's what my webpage says:

Another one of Crewe Toll to Granton recorded with a normal size camcorder with a flip-out screen. The view is all forward (nothing of me except a quick flash of my PowerSlide skates). It's the wee dog that is the star of this video. You can hear the dog's owner crying out when the dog is far away. The tenacious wee Scottie (West Highland Terrier) just seemed to want to race me but its little legs weren't up to it.

The web page is: http://www.henniker.org.uk/html/_videos_skating.htm

Thankfully I wasn't fazed by the dog. If it had been a rottweiller or something, well...
Dave Henniker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2009, 07:04 PM   #8
Skateguy
"Fear No Evil"
 
Skateguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Houston/Heights
Posts: 4,803
Default

Great Videos. thanks for sharing. Those sure look like some nice, well maintained paths. We have nothing like that here. At most, the city will put a white stripe on the side of the road, and label it a "Bike Route" Not! We just get the curb section, where all the trash and nails collect. I can see where exploring those Routes could be big fun. I would take awhile getting use to skating on the "wrong side of the road" Hahahahahh Be well, and Keep on, keeping on. Oh, and pretty good pace, for a guy skating with a camera. Good show.
__________________
"Skate Or Die"
Skateguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2009, 08:17 AM   #9
Dave Henniker
'60s Survivor
 
Dave Henniker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland
Posts: 31
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skateguy View Post
Great Videos. thanks for sharing. Those sure look like some nice, well maintained paths. We have nothing like that here. At most, the city will put a white stripe on the side of the road, and label it a "Bike Route" Not! We just get the curb section, where all the trash and nails collect. I can see where exploring those Routes could be big fun. I would take awhile getting use to skating on the "wrong side of the road" Hahahahahh Be well, and Keep on, keeping on. Oh, and pretty good pace, for a guy skating with a camera. Good show.
Sadly, the cycle paths aren't necessarily maintained to a smooth skate-friendly surface. The bottom picture on http://www.henniker.org.uk/html/_ed_nw9.htm illustrates an abrupt transition to a skate-hostile tarmac. (sorry I can't embed the picture here)

There are cyclepaths all around the local city park called The Meadows but some e.g. North Meadow Walk are bad even for bikes unless they've got fat tyres and suspension. The footpaths either side of Melville Drive (the road through The Meadows) are skate-able but nearly all the other paths are too rough for my 90mm wheels.

There's one exception apart from Leamington Walk, Middle Meadow Walk. The sloping half is too steep and too busy with errant pedestrians to skate down, unfortunately. Edinburgh's geology means lots of hills. Fun but risky.

regards Dave.
Dave Henniker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2009, 02:48 AM   #10
gr8 sk8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 2
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Henniker View Post
There are now a few videos I've done of skating some of the city's former railway lines, all on my web page at http://www.henniker.org.uk/html/_videos_skating.htm

Us lone, solitary skaters must devise innovative ways of video-ing ourselves. I used a smaller-than-thumbsize camcorder for the most recent videos. It's a MiniDV VD80 device which I attached to a bamboo cane.

This enabled me to video myself (ugly old pensioner) as well as views from all angles. The length of the cane ironed out the bumps but it was tricky to keep the camera vertical when it's behind you and 8 feet up. Even if you think my videos are crap, you might still be interested in the camera if you're obliged to skate on your lonesome.

I haven't yet made a video of Crewe Toll to Ocean Terminal which is rather a good journey with only one bumpy bit...

regards Dave.
Ingeniously inventive if I may say so myself; and quite well done!!
gr8 sk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cyclepath, edinburgh, scotland

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.