S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum > Inline Artistic
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Inline Artistic Discussions about artistic skating on inline figure skates.

Old September 21st, 2009, 08:58 AM   #1
Arthur Lee

Angry Event schedule arrangement of inline competition at 2009 German worlds championships

I've noticed the event schedule of the 54th World Roller Figure Skating Championships is quite different from it was before. Particularly for the inline events because inline events have been used to be set in between the juniors and the seniors for years, but they are scheduled on the 1st and 2nd days of the whole event this year!

http://www.freiburg2009.com/eip/pages/99_schedule.php

What I'm concerned is that there could be VERY LIMITED spectators for the inline competitions with this schedule. And if such pattern of event schedule arrangement to be duplicated in the coming World Championships, it will generate big impact to the worldwide development and promotion of artistic inline skating.

Bad shedules and therefore few spectators, unfortunately mean for a relatively new sport, such as inlinefigureskating, that it will disappear behind the curtain, before it has a chance to establish.

Although the web page says that 'schedule is to be considered tentative', I don't see any chance the Authority will change it unless they clearly hear feedbacks with different thoughts.

I believe all these world-class inliners deserve appreciation from a big crowd of spectators and from the organizing committee of this Championships, as they did before.

Can I please ask you to pay attention to this matter? Can you please send emails to your national federation to echo my concern and see if we can make a better timing for our inliners!

I appreciate your great help!!

Last edited by Arthur Lee; September 21st, 2009 at 02:07 PM.
Arthur Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2009, 11:42 AM   #2
rolaboi
I am Rollerboy

This is exactly how it was scheduled in 2005.. Inline was completed before the freeskating juniors had even finished..
rolaboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2009, 02:15 PM   #3
Arthur Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolaboi View Post
This is exactly how it was scheduled in 2005.. Inline was completed before the freeskating juniors had even finished..
Hi Jayson,

Do you recall if there were a lot of spectators when you competed inline? Or waw the number of spectators getting more day after day till the end of that event?
Old September 22nd, 2009, 12:40 AM   #4
Can't skate at all

Default Scheduling

No matter when its scheduled, these skaters have worked as hard as the quad skaters to get there, and should be supported by the other skaters as an absolute minimum.

Whether there are lots of spectators or only a few, I'll still be proud of my girl when she steps out onto the floor. I just wish that I was going to watch in person...
Can't skate at all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2009, 08:41 AM   #5
Arthur Lee

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can't skate at all View Post
No matter when its scheduled, these skaters have worked as hard as the quad skaters to get there, and should be supported by the other skaters as an absolute minimum.

Whether there are lots of spectators or only a few, I'll still be proud of my girl when she steps out onto the floor. I just wish that I was going to watch in person...
Can't agree with you more!
Old September 22nd, 2009, 12:17 PM   #6
rolaboi
I am Rollerboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Lee View Post
Hi Jayson,

Do you recall if there were a lot of spectators when you competed inline? Or waw the number of spectators getting more day after day till the end of that event?
there were very few... mind you, there were very few throughout the Junior championships in Roma, mind you they were still setting up the venue at this time and it was more so as if they were preparing only for Senior and just let the junior events proceed as a test run!!

there have only ever been people at the inline events when it has been run at the same time the Groups/Precision has been on, and thats b/c they draw in the crowd.. if Inline was run on its own, there were hardly be anyone at all... but of all the world meets, yes big crowds b/c of the Precision on at the same time...

however.. like in tennis, you cant really choose your time or date in an open or event, and its the luck of the draw... sadly the inline will be held in the smaller venue where the juniors are though this year... and to be honest, i think its really sad junior is not on the same floor as senior, they have just as much to whinge about really... i think Senior figures are also staged in the junior venue and not on the main floor... ???
Old September 22nd, 2009, 05:12 PM   #7
rwsz

Quote:
there were very few... mind you, there were very few throughout the Junior championships in Roma, mind you they were still setting up the venue at this time and it was more so as if they were preparing only for Senior and just let the junior events proceed as a test run!!

there have only ever been people at the inline events when it has been run at the same time the Groups/Precision has been on, and thats b/c they draw in the crowd.. if Inline was run on its own, there were hardly be anyone at all... but of all the world meets, yes big crowds b/c of the Precision on at the same time...

however.. like in tennis, you cant really choose your time or date in an open or event, and its the luck of the draw... sadly the inline will be held in the smaller venue where the juniors are though this year... and to be honest, i think its really sad junior is not on the same floor as senior, they have just as much to whinge about really... i think Senior figures are also staged in the junior venue and not on the main floor... ???
Jayson if this is the case its sad and the juniors and inlines are wasting thier money. maybe they should discountinue the junior championships.
Old September 22nd, 2009, 06:56 PM   #8
Molydomancer

I think it is also sad that the inline skaters are not included in the junior/senior European Championships so there are no inline artistic champions of Europe.
Molydomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2009, 01:15 AM   #9
rolaboi
I am Rollerboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsz View Post
Jayson if this is the case its sad and the juniors and inlines are wasting thier money. maybe they should discountinue the junior championships.
the Italian Federation made a proposal last year to remove inline from the worlds altogether and to run it as an 'International Trophy' sep to the world meet at an alt time/venue every two years... also the Junior event they proposed would be run only every two years and increase the age up to 19..
Old September 24th, 2009, 02:36 AM   #10
Arthur Lee

Quote:
the Italian Federation made a proposal last year to remove inline from the worlds altogether and to run it as an 'International Trophy' sep to the world meet at an alt time/venue every two years... also the Junior event they proposed would be run only every two years and increase the age up to 19..
Yes I still remember this proposal. Any one who is interested in reading this topic please click the following:

http://skatelogforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15389
Old September 24th, 2009, 03:21 AM   #11
rwsz

Jayson i guess the italians dont like inlines lol. or is it something they cant skate on lol. i remember Anna I. use to do them after she did quads.
Old October 19th, 2009, 03:46 PM   #12
Arthur Lee

I just got a detailed 2009 worlds schedule from a friend in German, and have found the time table for inline event is sooo weird.

Monday 9 November (FT-Sportpark)
10.00-12.00 / 14.00-16.00 Registration of Junior teams

Tuesday 10 November (FT-Sportpark)
16.00 Draw for Junior Championships and Inline
20.00 Practice Inline Ladies Short & Long Programmes
21.15 Practice Inline Menís Short & Long Programmes

Wednesday 11 November (FT-Sportpark)
18.45 COMPETITION INLINE LADIES SHORT PROGRAMME
19.30 COMPETITION INLINE MENíS SHORT PROGRAMME
20.00 Practice Inline Ladies Long Programme
20.45 Practice Inline Menís Long Programme

Thursday 12 November (FT-Sportpark)
18.30 COMPETITION INLINE LADIES LONG PROGRAMME
19.15 COMPETITION INLINE MENíS LONG PROGRAMME

Questions:

1. Short program practice on the 10th evening but the competition on the 11th - Nearly 24hrs interval between practice and competition?

2. Long programe practice is followed right after the short program competition on the 11th evening - How are the skaters able to practice their long program right after a short program competiton? This is unbelieveable!

3. And wait for another 24hrs till next day for long program competition?

Is it a reasonable arrangement? Tell us how you think.

If you want to know the complete schedule, click the following link to download:

http://www.inlinefigure.com/2009_worlds_schedule.pdf
Old October 29th, 2009, 01:37 AM   #13
skatenz468

As a skater in the inline events I think the training times and competition times will actually be really well suited to me - time to get my head sorted out (I'm sure I will be buzzing, it's my first worlds) and build myself up between training and competition.

But I can also see the negatives...

I think Inline is almost being seen as embarrassing... like getting us out of the way before all the spectators come to watch the other skaters... hmmmmm...

Maybe we should chuck a whole bunch of the senior and junior skaters on Inlines for a couple of hours and see what they say about it after that... try it before you judge it is my theory
skatenz468 is offline   Reply With Quote