S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Skating Forum Most of the discussions in this forum will be about inline speed skating but discussions about ice speed skating and quad roller speed skating are also welcome.

Old November 2nd, 2009, 02:38 AM   #1
Yonatan

Default Help mount my boot on a frame

Hi everyone, and especially the hardware savvy skaters here.

I have these pinnacle boots that I custom ordered for the CadoMotus 4x110 frame, but I can't mount them. The mounting system is two slots along in front and one slot along at the back (see pictures).

I can't position the back mounting nut above the frame slot, because the front mounting block touches the 2nd wheel (image 1, 2 and 4). I originally wanted to center the boot along the frame (same amount of wheel sticking in front and back), but first I want to see if I can mount it at all.

Is there a way to free some space in the front mounting block so I can take the boot back some more without touching the 2nd wheel? The mounting is pretty low so I might need to mess with the footbed behind the block. Is it safe? I don't know if I can do it without risking breaking the blocks while skating. Can I maybe dremel a path through the block for the 2nd wheel, or use a heat gun or something?

Any help is appreciated.

Clickable thumbnails:

Yonatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2009, 02:57 AM   #2
skaterdog

A dremel and/or washer would probably work but I'd run it past JimmyB first. I remember a post he made about using a heat gun on the outside of the problem area and letting the wheel press in and create some space.
Old November 2nd, 2009, 03:03 AM   #3
Josh22
EVO Racing

If it's a custom boot that was designed for that frame, it should work with it. If it doesn't I would sent it back to get what you paid for.
Josh22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2009, 03:37 AM   #4
need4speed

Default how about 1mm of space

Have you tried a thin piece of aluminum sheet metal as a spacer with a hole punched for the bolt to go through it. It worked for me to get my cado 1-1-2 frame to fit on my luigino challenge boots. The sheet metal I used was around 1mm thick and made all the diffence in the world.
Also there are the 10 degree wedges that will give you some extra space, they are plastic and also work well .
Adams inline has them for sale.
need4speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2009, 03:49 AM   #5
kufman

You will have to add some small spacers in between the frame and the boot. This is pretty common for Cado frames and non-cado boots. I typically use 1/16" (1.6mm) aluminum to make these spacers.
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2009, 05:18 PM   #6
shesk8

Easily resolved. Cado makes a specific spacer mount shim that is integral to the frame just for these type situations, as not all boots & frame match up equally.

PM for details.
Thanks,
shesk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2009, 07:30 PM   #7
Yonatan

Thanks people. Some answers and questions:

- I did ran it through Jimmy. He won't take them back even for a restocking fee although that's what we agreed on before I paid.

- I checked again and even without wheels the boot will never be centered on the frame due to how the blocks are positioned. That of course defies the purpose of the slots, but with some extra height I can mount the boot farther to the front of the frame.

- I didn't know there were special neutral spacers. Too bad they're 30 Euros not including shipping. Using a regular washer will create a narrow base that allows too much flex between the boot and frame, so that was out of the question.

- I checked now and the pitch is off by about 1.5mm (noticeable if I secure the front mount only, the back is hanging in the air above the frame). Well, actually it's not the pitch, but the angle of the blocks. If I secure only the back, the front will hang in the air. Should I ignore it, or will it cause future damage by continually applying pressure on the blocks? Maybe I need one 3mm spacer (standard CadoMotus) and one 4.5mm. Where do I get one? Isn't it too high already for a deck hight?

- Will removing some carbon behind the mounting block cause any problems? If I can remove some carbon, I can use a lower spacer. I'm afraid of damaging the blocks, or create a weak spot or cause the carbon structure there to deteriorate rapidly.
Old November 2nd, 2009, 07:33 PM   #8
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

Been here two years, seen countless questions about 2nd wheel rubbing, and never knew about those spacers.

Yonatan, I would definitely be afraid of damaging the blocks.
Bill in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2009, 07:33 PM   #9
skaterdog

I think I'd just get a different frame. Ask Jimmy what would mesh best with that boot and sell the Cado Motus.
Old November 2nd, 2009, 08:20 PM   #10
Danger Racing

Yonthan,
I think you need to be in contact with jimmy about this. I think this could be resolved with a little talking. But you did request another companies mounting blocks, and you did pick the lowest frame out there.

Contact jimmy, he will work with you I am sure.

Danger
Danger Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2009, 08:58 PM   #11
Yonatan

Skaterdog, the ION frame is said to be ok, but it's too expensive. I specifically chose CadoMotus for the price and quality, and I'd rather mess around with cheap spacers right now.

Danger, I've tried talking for two months already since I got them. Anyway, all the details of my chosen setup were known and confirmed as possible. If it's impossible to build I should have been told.
Old November 2nd, 2009, 11:14 PM   #12
Josh22
EVO Racing

"I have these pinnacle boots that I custom ordered for the CadoMotus 4x110 frame." So your saying you asked him if they would fit your cado frame and he said yes, but if they don't your stuck with them? Or did he make them custom for you and they were made to fit this frame?
Old November 4th, 2009, 05:11 AM   #13
Yonatan

Josh, I'm not sure I understand your question. The boots were built by my request, explicitly for CadoMotus 4x110 frame, with explicit return policy that if they don't fit (size) there's a restocking fee. There was no discussion about defects because the assumption is that the boot is high quality and will match the specifications.
Old November 4th, 2009, 05:29 PM   #14
Josh22
EVO Racing

Basically if you bought them and were told they would fit your frame and they do not. Then you should be able to send them back without a restocking fee!! That's like ordering 20" rims that are 12" wide for your chevy and they told you they would fit the bolt pattern but if there to wide you could send them back for a restocking fee. But if the bolt pattern is wrong then you shouldn't have to pay for restocking or shipping!!! Because they sent you something that they said would work with what you have and it did not. Now if they were to wide then that's your mistake if they didn't know it was or was not. So he should have said if it doesn't fit your foot send it back for a restocking fee. But if it doesn't fit your frame, that he said it would, he will make it right!!
Old November 4th, 2009, 06:05 PM   #15
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

I hate to say it, but based on what you have told us, it sounds like you did not get what you paid for.
Old November 4th, 2009, 06:28 PM   #16
kufman

Quote:
Originally Posted by shesk8 View Post
Easily resolved. Cado makes a specific spacer mount shim that is integral to the frame just for these type situations, as not all boots & frame match up equally.

PM for details.
Thanks,
If you need spacers to make this work, build your own. The ones in the picture above only fit the Cado Hi-Lo frames and not the 110 frame. The spacing for the little pegs to fit into the holes on the frames is different on the hilo.
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2009, 07:01 PM   #17
gneal

The blocks look to long f-to-r to be able to use the frame. The wheel is hitting the blocks HE requested, not the boot. Use the shims.

BTW, the OTHER manufacturer the blocks came from said they would work, not Jimmy.
gneal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2009, 07:12 PM   #18
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

I think we're not getting the whole story...
Old November 4th, 2009, 08:18 PM   #19
JimmyB
Pinnacle Footwear Expert

Yonathan,

I havent heard from you since my last e-mail to you.. I have been waiting for your response.. I will forward it again to you.. I want to make you happy, but at the same time, it WAS a custom order that does not involve my blocks, tapped nor my slide blocks.

I mounted it on a frame I have here with no problems.. (it was not a cado as i didnt have one at the time).

Thank you for all the responses from the other readers, I will say this is a strange situation. I will be doing all I reasonably can to make Yonathan happy...
JimmyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2009, 01:31 AM   #20
MachV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yonatan View Post
Hi everyone, and especially the hardware savvy skaters here.

Clickable thumbnails:

From looking at the frame in relation to the size of the boot, THE FRONT WHEEL IS IN THE CORRECT POSITION.

The basic rule is that a frame should be mounted 50-50 with 75% of the wheel out at the front/rear of the skate. If you can't get 50-50, mount the frame so that the additional length is in the REAR.

Moving that frame more forward will only cause you to have to pick your foot up higher and waste energy.

Another rule:

If are having a boot built to a frame, buy your frames first and send YOUR frames to the boot maker. Let the bootmaker do his thing from there.
This rule has been repeated a number of times on the board.

There's equipment for everybody, but not all equipment is for every BODY.

Last edited by MachV; November 5th, 2009 at 01:43 AM. Reason: Another rule
MachV is offline   Reply With Quote