S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Beginning Skaters Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginning Skaters Forum This is the place for beginning skaters to ask questions and share their stories. We would love to hear about your experiences learning to skate. No question is too dumb!

Old November 2nd, 2009, 07:33 PM   #1
nd3141

Default Tips on posture...

Greetings all. Newbie with a newbie question. I'm 35, brand new to skating, got into it after working as an NSO for a derby league. I'm male, 6'1", 260, 30 inseam. Have a pair of R3, which aren't bad for starting skates (we shall see how break in goes).

The subject line says all. What tips and ideas do you use to maintain proper posture? My problem is that I have a hard time coming back to a relaxed posture after pushing off (especially with my weak leg). This means a lot of energy is wasted in trying to stay stable versus just gliding.

Things I am curious about:

Weight distribution between heel and back of the feet.
Stance width changes (if any)
Exercises for shifting weight.

Thanks!
nd3141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2009, 02:16 AM   #2
Holiday Guy
Doing It Old School

Knees should be bent a little and back straight you should be looking forward and don't look down. If this is your first time skating have some body hold your hand intel you get comfortable.
Old November 3rd, 2009, 06:00 AM   #3
Armadillo

Default Feel all four wheels and your weight is automatically distributed

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd3141 View Post
Greetings all. Newbie with a newbie question. I'm 35, brand new to skating, got into it after working as an NSO for a derby league. I'm male, 6'1", 260, 30 inseam. Have a pair of R3, which aren't bad for starting skates (we shall see how break in goes).

The subject line says all. What tips and ideas do you use to maintain proper posture? My problem is that I have a hard time coming back to a relaxed posture after pushing off (especially with my weak leg). This means a lot of energy is wasted in trying to stay stable versus just gliding.

Things I am curious about:

Weight distribution between heel and back of the feet.
Stance width changes (if any)
Exercises for shifting weight.

Thanks!
If you focus on "feeling" all four wheels you wil have good weight distribution. Your foot can sense the vibrations coming up from each wheel, and when you focus on feeling each wheel pushing up onto your foot, you tend to equalize your weight distribution properly.
You may find a bigger boot heel helps too, as this tends to make you lean back more on the rear wheels to compensate for the extra forward tilt that the taller heel gives. Where does your rear axle line up with respect to the center of the ball of your heel?

Exercise => Balance on one leg and lower yourself by bending your knee ~45 degrees. Hold position until leg gets shaky, then switch to other leg. Keep taking turns. then for a change keep both feet down & bend both knees at once.

-Armadillo
Old November 3rd, 2009, 12:36 PM   #4
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

practice practice practice

get your rear down.

don't hunch your upper body too much.

practice gliding on one foot. gliding on one foot is the key to all that is good and lovely in the world of skating.
Bill in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2009, 01:17 PM   #5
cliff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
gliding on one foot is the key to all that is good and lovely in the world of skating.
I agree 100%. From what I can see, amazingly few session skaters consciously glide on one foot.

I also suggest using your arms for fine-tuned balance. As in figure skating: Hold them so your hands are palms down, about a foot away from your body and at waist level. Adjusting the position of your arms when you need to helps keep you from falling, etc.

I'd also get some wrist guards with the hard plastic slide bump in the palms: wrists are the most likely part of the body to get sore or injured.
cliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2009, 04:31 AM   #6
nd3141

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff View Post
I agree 100%. From what I can see, amazingly few session skaters consciously glide on one foot.

I also suggest using your arms for fine-tuned balance. As in figure skating: Hold them so your hands are palms down, about a foot away from your body and at waist level. Adjusting the position of your arms when you need to helps keep you from falling, etc.

I'd also get some wrist guards with the hard plastic slide bump in the palms: wrists are the most likely part of the body to get sore or injured.
I agree on the wrist guards, I got a pair of Triple Eights. I really like the idea about the hands.
nd3141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2009, 02:03 PM   #7
noidd

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff View Post
I agree 100%. From what I can see, amazingly few
Couldn't agree more - my first time out I fell backwards and caught myself with my hands. 255lbs on two hands - I could barely bend them for a few days.

Still - since you're training as a referee skate with your pads on. I mean it, the whole works. I even skate with all my gear on during open skates... sure you get funny looks, but who cares?

Skating without kneepads on feel wierd to me.
noidd is offline   Reply With Quote