S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Beginning Skaters Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginning Skaters Forum This is the place for beginning skaters to ask questions and share their stories. We would love to hear about your experiences learning to skate. No question is too dumb!

Old November 4th, 2009, 08:51 PM   #1
aishabear

Default wheel hardness 99a vs 103a

ok whats up with that. how can a fomac which is 99a be harder than a bone 103a. the higher the number the harder the wheel right.
Old November 4th, 2009, 09:26 PM   #2
Skater4ever
The God of Skate

Quote:
Originally Posted by aishabear View Post
ok whats up with that. how can a fomac which is 99a be harder than a bone 103a. the higher the number the harder the wheel right.
Yes you are correct, the higher the harder, and I wouldn't know why 103a would be softer than 99a.
Old November 5th, 2009, 02:56 AM   #3
Daddy-O
Seņor Member

Every company's ratings are a little different and even one company that rates it's wheels a certain rating, will typically have 3-4a difference in the wheels that come out of each batch. Technically, there should be no ratings over 100a, because the scale does not go that high, but I've heard it repeated many times that a Bones 103a is the equivalent of most companies 99a's.
Daddy-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2009, 03:48 AM   #4
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

Plus, hardness is just a number measured by a specific gauge. A skater can't correctly judge hardness by roll, vibration, grip, etc.
Bill in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2009, 07:39 AM   #5
inlina
ABEC42

The durometer (hardness) of a wheel is only one factor on the actual and perceived hardness of a wheel. It relates only to a 'test' piece of the material it is made from.

The way the material is cured in manufacture can make some apparent differences. The material could be formulated to be 103A on a test piece (ie. a molded rectangular sample), but in the way the material cures in a wheel mold could differ slightly from the test piece and result in a slightly different duro. The croslink bonds may form differently in the wheel mold to a test plaque mold.

The design of the wheel can also result in a wheel feeling harder/softer despite the mateial's durometer. To wheels could use identical material but some people may feel one to be softer than the other depending on the design.

CG
Old November 5th, 2009, 09:00 PM   #6
aishabear

thanks everyone now it makes sense to me. i can slide in a fomac but not in the bone 103a. but i love both wheels for different reasons.
Old November 6th, 2009, 02:47 AM   #7
inlina
ABEC42

Quote:
thanks everyone now it makes sense to me. i can slide in a fomac but not in the bone 103a. but i love both wheels for different reasons.
Another note....the grip (or slipperyness) of a wheel can come down to the material formulation. You can have two wheels that are identical in design, durometer and manufacturing but you can add some chemical components to the urethane formulation of one to increase the grip.

CG
Old November 6th, 2009, 07:40 AM   #8
diagetus

It's not just you aishabear. I've also noticed 99a wheels that are obviously slicker than a Bones 103a. Sure Grip's velvet wheel (not the velvet smoothies) comes to mind. They are definitely slicker than a Bones 103a.
diagetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2009, 05:06 PM   #9
aishabear

I am looking for a wheel that is 62MM fast and smooth but with a lower price tag than the bones super. I want the quality of the bones 103a but a cheaper price. which is a better wheel for a little grip and little slip. and does anyone know the difference from a urethane wheel and a vanathane wheel. Thanks guys for your help.

pacer velvet smoothie - 99a

radar varsity - 101a

all american plus - not sure of hardness could be 99a

bones super elite 103a
Old November 6th, 2009, 05:31 PM   #10
Bosco

I have some 104A "Z" Art wheels still in the bag. They
are brown in color. Thay also used make "Z" wheels in white.
Bosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2009, 09:22 PM   #11
aishabear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco View Post
I have some 104A "Z" Art wheels still in the bag. They
are brown in color. Thay also used make "Z" wheels in white.
do you have picture if so pm me. thanks
Old November 6th, 2009, 11:07 PM   #12
inlina
ABEC42

Quote:
I am looking for a wheel that is 62MM fast and smooth but with a lower price tag than the bones super. I want the quality of the bones 103a but a cheaper price. which is a better wheel for a little grip and little slip. and does anyone know the difference from a urethane wheel and a vanathane wheel. Thanks guys for your help.
I think you are grappling with the same wheel issue that everyone deals with at some stage. With so many options, finding something to suit you and your style can be tough. What one person thinks would be ideal for you, may not actually be what you are after.

Back (a long, long time ago in a land a few suburbs away) when I was a speed skater, we used to swap wheels regularly to try other options. If you have people you skate with and they have other wheels for you to try, you can learn a lot even if it a wheel you would never consider.

As for the Vanathane question, I tried to figure this out after your first question, but I have no idea. At a guess it is a particular urethane formulation and/or curing process that one or more of the wheel manufacturers use. Hyper used to have Voodoothane for a range of their quad wheels (cannibals etc) and there have been other 'thane' suffixed proprietary urethane formulations over time.

CG
Old November 6th, 2009, 11:52 PM   #13
cliff

Default Dream on

Quote:
I am looking for a wheel that is 62MM fast and smooth but with a lower price tag than the bones super. I want the quality of the bones 103a but a cheaper price. . . .
I've got the Bones Super Elite 103a, and at $78, I think they are worth the money. Just enough grip as sometimes you almost slip.

They may prove to be a durable investment. I still have some Bones Elite 101a I skated hard a couple of years that show minimal wear.

I also have the 63mm Roll-Line Grease 95a that cost $130, and though the Grease are ultra sweet, the Bones 103 have stayed on my skates the past couple months. The problem with the Bones 103a, however, is you don't even get tired skating "hard."

Be aware you may need to put a washer on the axle if you use a Roll-Line plate: The funny shape of the Bones Super Elite will result in a rub with the truck otherwise.
cliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2009, 03:37 PM   #14
Starbuck

Default Super Elites

Those will be my next set of wheels. I have the Bones Elite, and they are slick, but I still having trouble spinning in them. I'm told there is very little difference between a 101A and a 103A. Is this true.

Next set of bearings will also be Bones Swiss. When I got my first set of wheels (not the Bones) I was told I had Bones Swiss. I was misled. So hopefully I will either get a nice Xmas prezzie ($) from my boss and/or a nice bonus from my firm so I can get the Bones Swiss. I'd like the best roll possible.
Starbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2009, 03:51 PM   #15
cliff

I have the Bones Elite 101a and the Bones Super Elite 103A. There is a lot of difference in the hardness /slickness/grippiness between these two wheels. The 103A require a much more balanced technique and paying attention so as not to slip when riding inside and outside edges. I've been on them exclusively for a couple months now, no problem, but a few will I slip moments.
cliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2009, 03:01 AM   #16
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Shore Durometer Scales

Hi ALL,

Sorry for adding confusion to the topic yet 100 is the top limit on any durometer scale. So 101 or 103 is marketing magic..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shore_durometer

We have had some people as amateurs work on this and have posted to this site. One was from New Mexico. Use Durometer for your search and study.

The Bones Elite 101A is a nice wheel for my one friend Kenny who is naturally a little heavy yet quite flexible on skates.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave

Last edited by MANY_SkatingDave; November 23rd, 2009 at 03:16 AM. Reason: Dang New Mexico not AZ
MANY_SkatingDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2009, 03:12 PM   #17
Starbuck

Default Hmmmm...

I was told there *wasn't* a lot of difference. I didn't believe her, and I knew I was right not to. Anyway, I still want to get those with Bones swiss for myself for Xmas/Yule, but not to install them on my skates yet. I'd like to be able to swap them myself to see if I can handle them.

Any other wheel suggestions, or are Bones Elite basically the way to go?

Thanks for the input, wheely! LOL

Starbuck
Starbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2009, 09:57 PM   #18
retread

Didn't know about the no selling rule. Sorry.

Bob

Last edited by retread; November 25th, 2009 at 12:37 PM.
retread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2009, 05:52 AM   #19
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default OK I will buy them for Greater Boston Area Kenny

Hi Bob (retread),

Bob, you know we are not supposed to do this stuff unless it is down below. I do want to buy them and I can resell them with no profit other than the profit of community spiriit. That to me is priceless....

Yours in Skating with ALL ages, and styles, MA/NY Skating Dave
MANY_SkatingDave is offline   Reply With Quote