S k a t e L o g     F o r u m

Closed in June of 2020

SKATELOG DOT COM: Web Site | Blog | Facebook |    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum Has Been Replaced by SkateDebate Dot Com ***

FROM SKATELOG FORUM HOST KATHIE FRY IN MARCH OF 2020:
This announcement is to let everyone know that after hosting the SkateLog Forum and its predecessors for nearly 20 years, I have decided it is time to permanently turn the forum over to a new owner and administrator. I cannot think of anyone more suitable to take on that role than my SkateLog forum co-host, Florida skater Jessica Wright. I am pleased to announce that Jessica has agreed to establish and host a brand new skating forum, configured like the SkateLog Forum, but with a new name and a new Web Site. This new forum is 100% owned and operated by Jessica.

NEW FORUM NAME: SkateDebate Forum
NEW WEB SITE: SkateDebate.com
NEW OWNER AND ADMINISTRATOR: Jessica Wright
REGISTER IN JESSICA'S FORUM: Create a SkateDebate Forum User Name

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Skating Forum Most of the discussions in this forum will be about inline speed skating but discussions about ice speed skating and quad roller speed skating are also welcome.

Old February 11th, 2010, 04:49 AM   #1
Quick209

Default Gas in the pace line

Okay, I know some of you are already laughing. I busted up just thinking about this topic. We all have it, it is natural. Maybe the hispanic food you ate last night is coming back for revenge. Maybe you shouldn't have had that Powerbar an hour ago. Maybe you are the adventurous lactose type that eat dairy for the thrills of torturing yourself. You have been out there skating as the sudden buildup comes. You know that you might as well call your skate quits due to abdominal cramping or really bad light headedness. When you are by yourself on the trail it is no problem to let it rip. Heck, sometimes I try to see if I can let it out with enough force to propel me on my skates not thinking that sometimes that can cause pain and could maybe burn a hole in my skin suite.

The question here though is what do you do if such a situation builds up literally while you are in a pace line....and you are not at the rear of it? Do you excuse yourself out the line to release it and settle back in the rear or maybe use it to see if you can get some sort of burst from it for a haphazard attack, do you try and hold on to it knowing you may suffer a performance drop due to the discomfort and trying to be courteous, or do you just gas the person behind you in a last ditch effort for relief without losing your position or in some sadistic way you seeked to gain an advantage by knocking out some of the competition? I may have tried to have too much fun with this but seriously, what would you do?
Old February 11th, 2010, 05:13 AM   #2
ncspeed
trouble maker :)

Just let it go, if you are outdoors will not be that big of a issue now indoors you may get a sniff of it when you come back to the point you let gas,

"anonymous said Sorry, but my outfit would not look right with neon green wheels. "
ncspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2010, 12:49 PM   #3
FirstLoser
firstloser.wordpress.com

ROTFLMAO!!! Someone did this last week at practice - I think it was one of the girls! Just let it go - it's a competitive advantage! Boof bombing beats bonking!

Chowley

http://firstloser.wordpress.com

Last edited by FirstLoser; February 12th, 2010 at 01:04 AM. Reason: spelling!
FirstLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2010, 01:08 PM   #4
ncsk8rgirl
Discovered SEDS on 1/1/08

let er' rip & consider it a "training exercise" if they can sk8 through it in a pace line, they will have no issue dealing with it in a race
Old February 11th, 2010, 06:24 PM   #5
Guns840
P.T.H.D

No way don't hold it in. Just let it go and blame the guy in front of you....just blame it on the dog thats not there.
Guns840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2010, 06:28 PM   #6
Rollerkingdom
Somewhere on neverland

LOL i would say just let it go but i would not want to be on the back of a person that does it.. haha
Rollerkingdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2010, 09:16 PM   #7
Veganpotter
Eat your veggies!!!

On my bike I always save it for a breakaway attempt. Really though for bikers its just fun. No matter how bad it stinks it does little more than cause a laugh in the group. Actually I even had one at a perfect time. I was about to pass a customer of mine(I work at a bike shop) in a Time Trial. We're good friends so its not biggie. Anyhow I passed him and blew it right when I lined up infront of him...it was perfect!!!
Veganpotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2010, 10:51 PM   #8
txskater

Personally I think the whole topic STINKS
txskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2010, 01:06 AM   #9
FirstLoser
firstloser.wordpress.com

Did somebody skate on a duck?

Chowley

http://firstloser.wordpress.com
FirstLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2010, 01:29 AM   #10
Jessica
Queen of the Mile

It's a good thing that a girl's gas smells like roses - we don't have to concern ourselves with these things!
Old February 12th, 2010, 01:38 AM   #11
Roto

My 2 cents:

When practicing/training:
If you're in a paceline outdoors, step out of the line with enough time to drift back before you expel. Indoors, get out of the line and relieve yourself before returning to the line. I've been in many lines where people have passed SBD gas and that is just wrong to subject your fellow teammates to that. We all get gas sometimes, but if you are only practicing/training I think it is rude to do this to your teammates.

When racing:
Obviously you will not leave your position in line, so you're gonna let fly. Doesn't make it any less gross.
Roto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2010, 01:43 AM   #12
Rollerkingdom
Somewhere on neverland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roto View Post
My 2 cents:

When practicing/training:
If you're in a paceline outdoors, step out of the line with enough time to drift back before you expel. Indoors, get out of the line and relieve yourself before returning to the line. I've been in many lines where people have passed SBD gas and that is just wrong to subject your fellow teammates to that. We all get gas sometimes, but if you are only practicing/training I think it is rude to do this to your teammates.

When racing:
Obviously you will not leave your position in line, so you're gonna let fly. Doesn't make it any less gross.
I have to agree with you here
and i would like to add that during a race it would be recommended to eat bunch of stuff that makes your gases bad so it could be some advantage hehe..
Rollerkingdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2010, 01:53 AM   #13
eighteen_psi
Big Van Vaypor

eighteen_psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2010, 03:19 AM   #14
Sabrespeed

Oh just let it go. That's one of the blessings of inline is that it's fast and you'll get out of there before the smell really comes on. :P

You could even take a tactical approach to it. In the final sprint when you don't want people in your shadow, you could use it as a "draft off me now!" message!
Sabrespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2010, 03:52 AM   #15
Smartin
Cerebrally Dismembered

Talking Too Funny !!!

Thanks for the giggle

Smartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2010, 10:58 PM   #16
Mobjack
Cookn Frog Legs 'n Greaze

Roto, you can't be serious?! Are you a friggin' P.C. nut? Training is racing, or should be given similar conditions and intensities, so let it flow, let yourself go. I think we can all tolerate a little olfactory disagreement from time to time when in pursuit, be it training or the real thing.
Mobjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2010, 12:21 AM   #17
skaterdog

I think it's proper to pull out of the paceline, pass gas into a tissue and then return to the paceline in an orderly fashion.
Old February 13th, 2010, 03:23 AM   #18
Quick209

Man, this topic really blew up. :P

Yeah, I was wondering about this. This was brought on when I was being shadowed by a couple of cyclist on thier $5k bikes you can lift with your tongue but shatters when a fly hits them. I didn't know them but we all see each other at the park all the time so it is like we know each other per say. Anyway, I had a PowerBar 30mins earlier and no one ever warned me about the side effects of those things. I guess the protein should have told me something. Plus anything healthy gives you gas. I started stumbling in my cadence and decided, "Oh what the hell." I am not a conceded man but I do pack a pretty nice caboose that many women I know wish they had. :P Well, it applauded like like a Super Bowl audience. Next thing I know one of them starts yelling about his eyes burning and the other about his tires melting. Me not personally knowing these two and hearing them bust out like that made me break into uncontrollable laugher ending with a crash on grass luckily. They stopped too to laugh and I brought up this topic of what would you do in a race paceline.

The thing that is concerning me with skating though is our drafting is really close and sometimes your face is like almost there. I'm 6'3". I think most skaters squatting down low could almost tell I wear Johnson's Baby Powder. If they are able to smell that, it is safe to say they will notice a change and probably at its purest.
Old February 13th, 2010, 04:51 AM   #19
Dec8rSk8r

Talking some reading material for you

Of course, the kindest thing you could do for your teammates would be to avoid foods you know make you gassy before your behind gets that close to their surprized little faces , or at least take some Beano.
Dec8rSk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2010, 08:34 AM   #20
speedysktr
President of Everything

"It's the fart game, you'll play one day, son."

"...that was a good one. My mouth was open."
speedysktr is offline   Reply With Quote