S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old December 16th, 2010, 08:25 AM   #1
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Default What should a good skate cost? Dec.2010

Here is a little price breakdown of various skate parts. I put this together for someone new to skating, or someone who is currently skating a package skate and may be looking to upgrade, but does not have an idea of what a good skate should cost. So, if you are agonizing over a $99 dollar skate vs a $129 skate wondering which one is a "good skate", this list will let you know that both skates will have compromises in one area or another to sell for those low prices. This list will also underscore the fact that good skate parts cost. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list, but just something to let you know where the "good stuff" starts, price wise. BTW, I skated a $99 skate and had a lot of fun. After less than a year, though, things were wearing out and my feet were under more stress than they are in my current, better skate. And even though my plate, wheels, and bearings are very nice, my boot only cost $60. I have yet to make the jump to the "good stuff" in that department, but I will be shortly. Even without the nice boot, my skating ability and enjoyment went up a lot when I got some of the "good stuff".

Boots starting getting good at around $200
Examples: Vanilla boots, a custom color Reidell 122, Bont Quad Racer
Honorable mention: Rebel boot. Leather, $60, ok bargain boot if your foot is not narrow.

Bearings start getting good at around $30
Example: Bones Reds
Honorable mention: Qube 8-ball $50. Nice mid priced bearing that clearly performs better than the $30 bearings.

Recreation Wheels start getting good at around $60
Example: Sure Grip Fugitive
Speed Wheels start getting good at around $90
Example: Hyper Cannibal
Dis-Honorable Mention: Radar Cayman. Hard slick wheel. Terrible.

Skate Plates start getting good at around $100
Examples: SG Invader DA45, SG Classic
Dis-Honorable Mention: Powerdyne Triton, DynaPro. While I know people who skate and like these plates, there have been some quality issues with them. I do not list them here because they are THAT terrible, but more because it is common to see these plates paired with a nice Reidell boot and priced at a "good skate" price. I am just pointing out that it is not difficult to get a different plate that can outperform them and simply paying the good skate price of around $500 can still stick you with a compromise.

So then what does a good skate price out to?

Boot $200
Plate $100
Wheels $90
Bearings $50
Mount $30
Shipping/misc $20

Total $490

Honorable Mention Package Skate: SG Rebel Invader $200
Boot: Rebel
Plate: Invader DA45
Bearing: Qube Juice
Wheel: SG Fugitive

Low cost but decent leather boot, very good performing aluminum plate, good bearing, good fairly grippy wheel. Good for a Recreational skater or Derby player. Down the road, the Invader DA45 plate is worthy of the best wheel/bearing/boot combination you care to throw at it.
Old December 16th, 2010, 02:39 PM   #2
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Default How times do change..

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufusprime99 View Post
Down the road, the Invader DA45 plate is worthy of the best wheel/bearing/boot combination you care to throw at it.
3 years ago I was throwing Invaders in the recycle bin..... The DA45 has sure made a huge difference in those (and the rest of the SG SA) plates..