S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Skating Forum Most of the discussions in this forum will be about inline speed skating but discussions about ice speed skating and quad roller speed skating are also welcome.

View Poll Results: What do you prefer to skate on or look for when buying?
2pt 165mm Mount Boots 4 6.67%
2pt 195mm Mount Boots 32 53.33%
3pt Mount Boots 27 45.00%
Neither..I buy depending on what color looks cutest 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 5th, 2011, 11:21 PM   #1
InlineWarehouse
InlineWarehouse.com

Default Do you skate 3pt or 2pt ?

I'm looking into expanding our selection of Bont skates. We carry almost all 3pt mount boots in Bont and wanted to learn if you guys are more partial to 2pt or if an even split?
InlineWarehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2011, 11:47 PM   #2
asteele.19

bonts changing their 3pt setup so they can fit on 2pt boots. or atleast thats what i have heard. might be a sign of whats to happen with the 3pt, or atleast its popularity
Old January 6th, 2011, 12:24 AM   #3
topcarbon

I skate with both......Bont Vaypor 2 points and Bont Apache three points.

I am absolutely no help
Old January 6th, 2011, 12:31 AM   #4
SkateMO

I've used both and don't really have a preference between the two (as far as performance goes).

I think the 2-pt option is more attractive to the masses. The 3-pt option almost forces you to buy an entire Bont package (Bont boots, frame, wheels, and bearings). In my opinion, I think many skaters like Bont boots, but prefer different frames, bearings and wheels. Not that Bont is bad in these areas because they aren't (their wheels, frames, and bearings are good), but I think the ability to customize is more attractive to many skaters.

Also, I never thought I'd say this because I usually don't base my picks entirely on looks, but I personally don't like the look of a 3-pt skate. Not sure why that is...
SkateMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2011, 01:03 AM   #5
Rollerkingdom
Somewhere on neverland

2pt, 195mm..
can't really say anything about 3pt since i've never tried it
Rollerkingdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2011, 01:52 AM   #6
JandKLarson

We both skate on 2 points, but that is primarily due to the fact that we've been skating on inlines prior to the advent of the 3 point setup AND we both have foot issues that have us both skating in a custom boot. If 3 points were around a while back, it is doubtful we would have switched to a 3 point setup since we prefer a brand of custom boot and would rather be able to choose a brand of frame. Both boot selection and frame preference are a very subjective choice to the individual. With that said, we both agree that 2 point setups are more marketable, since Bont boots have a great reputation, and then the skater can decide what brand of frame they want to skate on. With a 3 point, you're limited to a Bont brand 3 point frame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkateMO View Post
Also, I never thought I'd say this because I usually don't base my picks entirely on looks, but I personally don't like the look of a 3-pt skate. Not sure why that is...
Funny that you would say this, but we both had commented, when the 3 point setup first came out, that the boot looked like a jacked up shoe that Freddie Mercury or Elton John would wear on stage. We just weren't crazy about the look of the 3 pt setup. We know that MANY skaters and Loggers are faithful to their 3 points, so please take these comments with a grain of salt. We love to skate, and any equipment that brings new skaters "into the fold" is a plus, but we'll stick to our old school 2 point setup.
JandKLarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2011, 03:46 AM   #7
FirstLoser
firstloser.wordpress.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by JandKLarson View Post
the boot looked like a jacked up shoe that Freddie Mercury or Elton John would wear on stage.
Ditto - was thinking Alex should call Gene Simmons and do a limited edition KISS boot!

But seriously, I wish I'd held onto my 165's so I could use them for short track ice.

Chowley

http://firstloser.wordpress.com
FirstLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2011, 04:45 AM   #8
Brianwheelies
Fun on 2 wheels or eight!

I am surprised to see the 2 point contingent pulling a double digit lead on the 3 point. With all of the hooting and hollering about Bont, you would figure it would be the other way around!

I really like the way the Bont skates look but when I saw my current boot, I had to have it. My experience being what it is, I don't see the reason to choose one over the other unless you wanted to fine tune frame choice.
Brianwheelies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2011, 06:48 AM   #9
Boaz bn

I'm on Bont Vaypor 2pt 195 because i already had a frame i bought. if not probably i'd take 3pt complete.
2pt is good cause you can put almost any frame you want if it fits, 3pt only bont. sounds good but i havn't skated yet on 3 pt so i don't really know what to say.
Boaz bn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2011, 06:55 AM   #10
tiramisu515
Endurance*Speed*Technique

I skate on 2pt. I find bont's 3 point boot design really ugly. this is only my personal opinion. I will go for bont's vaypor or Z boots 2pt anytime.
tiramisu515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2011, 09:24 AM   #11
jdavis042
Caffeinated Member

Default 3 point

It's been my 2nd and 3rd purchases so far. I like the jack'd up look, it's part of the "Sizzle" for me......
Old January 6th, 2011, 01:06 PM   #12
kufman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianwheelies View Post
I am surprised to see the 2 point contingent pulling a double digit lead on the 3 point. With all of the hooting and hollering about Bont, you would figure it would be the other way around!

I really like the way the Bont skates look but when I saw my current boot, I had to have it. My experience being what it is, I don't see the reason to choose one over the other unless you wanted to fine tune frame choice.
If this was a forum of mostly indoor skaters I think you would see a 20:1 ratio of 2-pt to 3-pt. If you look around and indoor nationals, it is almost the exception to see 3-point skates.
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2011, 05:13 PM   #13
InlineWarehouse
InlineWarehouse.com

Default Wow...

great stuff and great response. Thanks for the insight.

I won't stop carrying the 3pt, but I damn sure better get going bringing in more 2pts.

Keep up the responses please... great stuff.
Old January 6th, 2011, 05:34 PM   #14
schuylkillskater

Huge fan of Bont 3 pt skates.
schuylkillskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2011, 08:30 PM   #15
jipe

I am using 2pt 195mm and do not plan to move to 3pt due to the limited choice of 3pt frames and also because 3pt is not really compatible with 3x110+1x100 as explained by Alex in another post (frame must either be longer = as long as a 4x110 or higher).
jipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2011, 04:32 AM   #16
tiramisu515
Endurance*Speed*Technique

Hi there,

My brother-in-law and I previously got ourselves each a pair of K2 Moto100 skates from your online store. We shipped it to Singapore thru Vpost. Thanks for the fanastic pricing you have on your website. Do you consider international shipping in the near future? It would be more convenient for us for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InlineWarehouse View Post
great stuff and great response. Thanks for the insight.

I won't stop carrying the 3pt, but I damn sure better get going bringing in more 2pts.

Keep up the responses please... great stuff.
tiramisu515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2011, 03:38 PM   #17
InlineWarehouse
InlineWarehouse.com

Default International Shipping

We've always shipped international..?? Not sure where the confusion lays, but we ship to Singapore all the time and they are among the 70+ countries listed that we ship to.

Granted it isn't real cheap to ship to Singapore, but we do offer it. Country code is SG I believe.

Thanks for the post and keep my info around for personal attention if neeeded.
Stan@inlinewarehouse.com
Old January 7th, 2011, 04:43 PM   #18
bubbaskate

I like my three point ..its mental...I know that all my foot is going to the push.

now I know there are frames that are strong two point - Great - Fine- Whatever ...but its my screwed up head..and with a 3 point...I know that I will never have flex, either from the boot or frame

And you dont HAVE to buy a whole bont setup..you can buy a frame and boot only
bubbaskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2011, 05:30 AM   #19
Spencer.Berry

I've seen people lose or break one of their frame bolts on 2-pt frames, even during a race (Silver Strand '07), so that's one advantage of 3-pt.

2-Pt offers more choices in frame selection, but I don't know if anyone out there is making a 2-pt frame with a 7mm pitch. I think most 2-pt frames are 10mm or 12mm pitch. Since I'm primarily an outdoor distance skater, I find that the lower pitch of the 7mm bont 3-pt setup is much easier and more comfortable with 110mm wheels. So for me, the best possible frame is the 3-pt bont frame that fits on a bont boot built for 7mm pitch. There's no reason why you couldn't make a 2-pt frame with lower pitch, but I don't know if there are actually any out there. I think most outdoor distance skaters would really prefer the lower pitch if they ever tried it. (Indoor is a completely different matter, of course).

I have to admit that I think the 2-pt looks slightly better (IMO), but for the two reasons mentioned above, I keep going with the 3-pt.
Spencer.Berry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2011, 12:07 PM   #20
JimmyB
Pinnacle Footwear Expert

2pt boots can have whatever pitch you want. Boots can be built with the pitch that you want. I personally build a standard 10mm, but if someone wants a 3mm "ball raise", then It makes it 7mm
JimmyB is offline   Reply With Quote