S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Skating Forum Most of the discussions in this forum will be about inline speed skating but discussions about ice speed skating and quad roller speed skating are also welcome.

View Poll Results: choose a boot for me
Simmons standard boot 3 4.62%
Simmons custom 14 21.54%
Pinnacle Boot 18 27.69%
Bont Vaypor 2 point 8 12.31%
Bont Vaypor 3 point 15 23.08%
some other choice 7 10.77%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 30th, 2011, 11:51 PM   #1
topcarbon

Default Simmons, Pinacle, Bont, or ?

I tend to move out of stuff quickly when it comes to performance equipment.

I have improved tremendously over the last month and can see myself going for uber performance within the month. If I want to change my skates, I have to choose and order the boots relatively soon.

Currently I use my Bont Apache(which are good, but I would not rate them as high performance). They were great to re-introduce myself to the sport again.

So, that leaves me wanting a high performance setup.

I had Simmons customs way back in the early 90's and I hated them. They were molded wrong(by me), and made cheap(by Simmons). He was new in the business and I don't really blame him. It just left a pain in my foot. I would love to try the all carbon model they have not made any of and likely will not in the near future, but they look so damn nice.

Don't know much about Pinacle.

I love Bonts, and there a lot of people on the Vaypor. Are they that good?
Bont three point?Two point?

Its frustrating. Making a $1000-$2000 commitment for the right choice makes me hesitate. Give me your opinions.

I skate flat circuits on 110 wheels. I will be seeking out some racing this year on the road. I don't know if this information is important.

Thanks.
Old January 31st, 2011, 12:52 AM   #2
SkateMO

I think a poll on this particular topic won't give you much. The reason I say that is because all three, in their own way, are good choices. It's hard to say one is better than the other because it depends on your price point and what you're looking for. Below is my take on the 3 options.

Bont - For the money, nothing beats Bont. In my opinion, Bont makes the longest lasting, best fitting stock boots on the market today. If you want a great stock boot that will last two or three seasons, get the Bont Vaypor. However, don't go with Bont if you want custom. I'm not saying that Bont is bad, but if you're going to get custom and you live in the USA, go with Simmons or Pinnacle. With Bont, you have no idea who's making your custom boot. With Simmons and Pinnacle, you know exactly who's making them.

Simmons - If you want the best custom boot on the market, go with Simmons. From everything I've heard, most people are 100% satisfied with their Simmons custom boots. However, the wait may be many months. At this point, if you want something soon, Simmons is probably not the best option. Your boots may not be done until mid-late summer. I haven't checked the current wait time though - so I could be wrong.

Pinnacle - Similar to Bont, Pinnacle makes a great product at a great price. If you don't want to spend $1500 for a custom Simmons, you could probably save $500 and go with Pinnacle. Again, I've heard great things about Pinnacle's custom boots. In addition, Jimmy Blair, who owns Pinnacle is a stand-up guy and will work his butt off to make you happy. So, I think for the money, Pinnacle is a great option if you want custom.
SkateMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2011, 01:00 AM   #3
topcarbon

money is not an issue.

I just want light, performance minded boots.

my feet are not unusual, and my arches are normal. My ankle bones are in a normal place. I would say my feet are pretty average.
Old January 31st, 2011, 01:09 AM   #4
SkateMO

Bont is my favorite boot - no matter how many times I try something different, I always miss my Bont boots. I think Simmons is a better-made boot than Bont, but in terms of comfort, price, and performance, I love Bont.

I think Pinnacle uses top-of-the-line materials in their boots and I trust Jimmy Blair to stand behind his products. So, I always recommend Pinnacle.

Simmons is the best-built boot on the market in my opinion. However, their boots are very stiff and not quite as comfortable as Bont - for me. So, if you want the best of the best in terms of performance and you don't care about having a pillow around your feet, go with Simmons. If you want a darn good Boot that will feel nice on your feet and still give you elite level performance, go with Bont. And, if you want a great custom boot at a great price (that's hand-made in the USA with top-of-the-line materials), go with Pinnacle.

That's the best I can do - in terms of help. Everyone's different in terms of what they like.
Old January 31st, 2011, 01:17 AM   #5
topcarbon

thanks for the insight.

Simmons and stiffness. I like stiff. The only problem I can see from my current set up is the ring around the ankle ache. You know the one that comes from the collar of the boot.

Are these boots more forgiving around the ankle, or are they lower than the Apache?

I skated with Vikings way back and I really enjoyed them because they were so nice around soft tissue.
Old January 31st, 2011, 01:22 AM   #6
krisapin
Darth Sk8r

have you also looked at edgetek boots? they do customs as well. check them out here:
http://edgetekracing.com/
krisapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2011, 01:23 AM   #7
ncspeed
trouble maker :)

I skate on an custom pinnacle and I very rarely have any foot issues from my boots. Pinnacle and Simmons are both great made boots. I have heard that
Al Kyzer is back in the game making boots, and back in the day his boots where the stuff. I am sure he may be at the blue ridge challenge doing some molds there.

Also remember this about simmons boots. You have to break your feet into the boot not the boot into your feet. If you ever seen mantias feet you will exactly know what I am talking about.

"anonymous said Sorry, but my outfit would not look right with neon green wheels. "
ncspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2011, 01:44 AM   #8
Guns840
P.T.H.D

I've skated an Edgetek for a little over a year now and love it..very little padding, butt I'm looking for efficiency not comfort. Brad Harper is a real nice guy and recently set up a new website. The New 850 is on my shopping List.
Guns840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2011, 02:04 AM   #9
krisapin
Darth Sk8r

ran into the guys from Danger Racing at the Luigino winter classic this weekend & the stock ones they had with them looked pretty schweet. They also had some of Pinnacles there as well. I'll admit I was taken in a bit more by the edgeteks though.
krisapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2011, 02:59 AM   #10
JimmyB
Pinnacle Footwear Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisapin View Post
ran into the guys from Danger Racing at the Luigino winter classic this weekend & the stock ones they had with them looked pretty schweet. They also had some of Pinnacles there as well. I'll admit I was taken in a bit more by the edgeteks though.
Those are the 2010 boots still.. my all new line will be out here in a few weeks, brand new last that seems to me like like it fits almost like a custom.. i worked a little more on the "looks" of the 2011 line too.. and the vortex will be getting an upgrade for the cosmetics also

Top carbon, I try to have the best boot that is built for comfort, stiffness, performance, and weight... they arent a light as a simmons, but more padded, and just as stiff. I believe you shoudl have an enjoyable time racing, training, and just tooling around, after a very slight break in period. some other boots have a long break-in period.. I try to let Pinnacle's be a short as possable.

If you have any questions, please dont hesitate to call or e-mail me.
JimmyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2011, 03:06 AM   #11
sxevegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by topcarbon View Post
money is not an issue.

Custom simmons. They will last years and years. If the liner wears out you can send them back to be re-lined. If you get sick of the color, you can send them back to get re-skinned.
sxevegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2011, 03:48 AM   #12
online inline

Come on, Rob. Don't hold back. Dave Simmons will not only re-line his boots and change the skin, but will put new cuffs on, and new eyelets as well. Hell, new tongues, too, and he can put on heat moldable ones if you prefer. I've had all this done to my last boots except the re-skin, and it is amazingly affordable. With Simmon's there's a little more cost, but it easily is made up for in the support you get in the purchase and in maintaining the boots and troubleshooting any subsequent issues (not to mention the quality!).
online inline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2011, 03:59 AM   #13
Team Shicoff
Vegan Endurance Athlete

+1 for Simmons full custom (especially when cost is not a factor).

I've had both stock and custom from Bont and from Simmons, and of all, I'm happiest with the Simmons custom. Wish it were a little less expensive, but it's going to last a number of years, and the quality is top notch. Also, made in the USA.
Team Shicoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2011, 04:30 AM   #14
Anabolix

Default Pinnacle....duh!

I know I'm biased..... But I love my custom Pinnacle! Jimmy does nice work. I have shoeboxes for feet and somehow Jimmy managed to make me a boot. As the ONLY person to ever skate on a Pinnacle QUAD boot, I would say that you can't go wrong with his inline boot. What does skating on a Pinnacle Quad boot have to do with this thread? Absolutely nothing. I just wanted to bust Jimmy's chops and have people bug him about when he is going to make quad boots.
Anabolix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2011, 06:02 AM   #15
Letme

I'd pick between pinnacle and simmons if i had unlimited budget. Any of custom makers will make boot exactly how you'll say you want it... want it stiff-np, want it light-np, but you need to know that you sacrifice something when you make such decisions.
At customs I think even Bont would make you a lighter boot (Bont otherwise has a bit heavier boots so that they last longer), so most of the choice is on looks :P
Old January 31st, 2011, 06:07 AM   #16
tiramisu515
Endurance*Speed*Technique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Shicoff View Post
+1 for Simmons full custom (especially when cost is not a factor).

I've had both stock and custom from Bont and from Simmons, and of all, I'm happiest with the Simmons custom. Wish it were a little less expensive, but it's going to last a number of years, and the quality is top notch. Also, made in the USA.
may I ask how long does it take to wait for the customised simmons to be built? what is he waiting time.
tiramisu515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2011, 07:01 AM   #17
SkateMO

The good news is that you picked three of the best boots out there. I would agree that edgetek should also be included in the mix.

I think Simmons has the edge over everybody because their boots are really amazing. I held one in my hand last year and it was extremely light. The bottom of the boot had 188g written on it, which I'm assuming was the weight. This was a size 9 boot. A Bont Vaypor is very light and I believe the Vaypor still weighs over 300g - just as a comparison.

Pinnacle is the company I always root for though. I think Jimmy is constantly making his product better. I saw his long track boots up close and they were extremely impressive. The thing with Pinnacle is that you can get a hand-made stock boot (made by Jimmy) for the same price that you can get a Bont Vaypor or a Luigino Challenge. The reason I make that point is because you're getting a boot that's made the same way a custom boot is made (same materials) for a great price. Also, I've tried a pair of Pinnacle boots on and they are very stiff, but yet comfortable.

For everyone that thinks Simmons is unbeatable (I go back and forth on who makes the best boot - so I have this same opinion often), the wild card I would throw out is SS Boots. Lots of ice skaters use these boots and they seem "unbreakable, extremely light, and extremely stiff." The inline boots cost over $2000, but I think they give Simmons some tough competition. Actually, if money were no issue, I would probably go with these vs Simmons. http://ssbootsc.ipower.com/page2.html At first glance, these things look a little ugly, but they are very well made (same boots Apolo Ohno and Shani Davis have used and both of these guys put more force on their boots than probably 99% of the inline skaters out there).
Old January 31st, 2011, 08:45 AM   #18
Boaz bn

At current time i have a 2pt Vaypor stock boot and It's an awesome boot and i feel finally that i can train and get progress. I never tried on the other boots cause there's nothing where i live. I took a big gamble and it turned out good, may be later on i'll go custom.
I have to say from what i see, hear, read all three manufacturers make a work of art !!! You can see and feel a quality boot ! and it's worth every cent you pay when you get a craftsman boot work !.
I think it's crucial if you want to enjoy your training and your skates and not suffer from cheap junk that kills your feet, causing you to give up or curse every time you put on your gear.

If a craftsman love what he's doing the we are those who gain the most
Boaz bn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2011, 10:50 AM   #19
topcarbon

some good replies here.

thank you.
Old January 31st, 2011, 02:27 PM   #20
skategael

Default SS

I think those SS boots are actually quite interesting looking. If my 7 yo saw the one with the cheetah print, she'd drop inline in a hot second for ice! LOL
skategael is offline   Reply With Quote