S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Skating Forum General discussions about all types of skating, including how to skate, places to skate, skating events, skating equipment, and any topic that does not fall under one of our other skating forums.

Old August 3rd, 2011, 08:25 PM   #1
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

Default Roller Sports Being Considered for 2020 Olympics

Excerpt From an IOC announcement in July of 2011: "The EB also agreed on a shortlist of sports that will be considered for inclusion in the sports programme of the 2020 Olympiad. The sports are: baseball, karate, roller sports, softball, sports climbing, squash, wakeboard and wushu, one of which could be added to the 2020 sports programme to be voted on by the 125th IOC Session in Buenos Aires in 2013. The programme can include a maximum of 28 sports. "

What do you think our chances are against baseball, karate, softball, climbing, squash, wakeboarding, and wushu?

- Kathie
Kathie Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2011, 12:39 AM   #2
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathie Fry View Post
Excerpt From an IOC announcement in July of 2011: "The EB also agreed on a shortlist of sports that will be considered for inclusion in the sports programme of the 2020 Olympiad. The sports are: baseball, karate, roller sports, softball, sports climbing, squash, wakeboard and wushu, one of which could be added to the 2020 sports programme to be voted on by the 125th IOC Session in Buenos Aires in 2013. The programme can include a maximum of 28 sports. "

What do you think our chances are against baseball, karate, softball, climbing, squash, wakeboarding, and wushu?

- Kathie
I would like to think about 50%. Mainly because lots of inline skaters go to Ice. It is another type of skating. Inline skaters that can move on to ice and adapt well usually hang in there. Karate might be the competition. JMO....
fierocious1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2011, 02:02 AM   #3
Sk8fever

Glad to hear that! I hope artistic skating will be an event. I love to watch the ice skating in the winter olympics. Summer olympics don't have enough artistic sports in my opinion. The gymnastics and rhythm events are somewhat, but it would be nice to see an event that will parallel the figure skating of winter olympics.
Sk8fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2011, 06:22 AM   #4
slowsk8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8fever View Post
Glad to hear that! I hope artistic skating will be an event. I love to watch the ice skating in the winter olympics. Summer olympics don't have enough artistic sports in my opinion. The gymnastics and rhythm events are somewhat, but it would be nice to see an event that will parallel the figure skating of winter olympics.
I would be one to disagree. I prefer sports that use refs, not judges.
I don't care if the toe is pointed just right or if they have the best music or the nicest costumes.
Who crossed the line first, who jumped the highest, tossed something the farthest. etc.
And I don't care much for the "team" sports in the Olympics.
Baseball, softball (jr baseball) football etc.
But now that the Olympics are all about money I don't know that we have much chance.
They will put in what the TV guys will pay the most to air, that is, what they think the most people will turn on to watch.
slowsk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2011, 07:06 AM   #5
BackofthePack
Someone has to be last

With the steady increase in judging scandals and the public outcry that has followed, the IOC has been hinting for close to a decade now that they are trying to distance themselves from adding more judged sports.
Old August 4th, 2011, 05:17 PM   #6
Poobah

One difficulty baseball and softball have is that they require a specific type/shape of outdoor stadium. Aside from being "too American" (baseball's also popular in Japan, Central/South America and the Caribbean among other places), that's probably the biggest reason baseball fell out of the last Summer Games.

Aside from TV concerns, the IOC also wants events the host country can sell lots of (pricey) tickets for. Are the stands at speed/figure/rink hockey competitions filled with non-participant paying fans? If not, that's a more difficult sell. They also want sports that will bring in sponsorship money. Riedell, Bont, Luigino are successful enough companies, but they don't have the kind of money that the golf club/ball companies have. Or Nike.

Aside from all that stuff, there's politics. An event that one or two countries are likely to dominate may not get the nod. And not just national politics. Sports politics. Every new event that gets in is another one that falls out. Events that are governed by the same IGB as an event that's already in have an easier time getting and staying in. One would imagine that just like cities fight hard (sometimes illegally, SLC) to get the games, IGBs (and other interested parties) do the same.

The first/last/only time FIRS had an event in the Summer Games was when roller hockey was a demo sport in 1992 at Barcelona. That's not a ringing record of success.
Poobah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2011, 04:45 AM   #7
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Women's Derby has a Good Shot

Hi ALL, CA-Kathie,

Hey Sweetie, Long Time No See,

Read PooBah again since he covers a lot.

Two things are in Derby's favor. The US is dominant, yet others like the UK and AU and ? are coming in fast. If approved China can come in fast.

It is about money, yet also about showing the world who are their leaders. They like new sports where the big financial countries can show off their prowess before the little ones build athletes. Wish I could give you the article link to an analysis of where the money goes and why considering international sports competition.

Now will they add men's derby, probably not
Now will they add men's/women's InLine Speed ??
Forget about Art: The Volume of Skaters is too low
^ Again People and Power Politics

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave
Old August 8th, 2011, 12:39 AM   #8
KMA

I hope speed makes it in.

Katy
KMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2011, 05:11 AM   #9
Metaphor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANY_SkatingDave View Post
Hi ALL, CA-Kathie,

Two things are in Derby's favor. The US is dominant, yet others like the UK and AU and ? are coming in fast. If approved China can come in fast.
Now will they add men's derby, probably not
I would be surprised if the Olympics added a womens-only event! That said, I'd love to see a slew of inline skating events. I'd actually start watching the summer olympics...
Metaphor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2011, 04:39 PM   #10
rhetttro
Owner, Pop's Skateland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poobah View Post
The first/last/only time FIRS had an event in the Summer Games was when roller hockey was a demo sport in 1992 at Barcelona. That's not a ringing record of success.
Truthfully, it was very successful. Rink Hockey was a sold out event at the '92 games but, the games were held in Spain where Rink Hockey is very big (read Pro Teams). Rink Hockey only missed by one vote in '96 games and I believe that's due to the venue being in the US where it has a very small following. It will really depend on where the games will be held in 2020.

Inline Marathon, Derby or Rink Hockey might have a small chance depending on the venue but, I don't think the IOC will not consider Figure skating, Inline speed or hockey since they are duplicates of Ice disciplines.
Old August 9th, 2011, 02:27 AM   #11
Machine

The Olympics? They're still doing that?

I'm usually busy watching the X-Games.
Old August 9th, 2011, 01:47 PM   #12
rhetttro
Owner, Pop's Skateland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Minute Mike View Post
The Olympics? They're still doing that?

I'm usually busy watching the X-Games.

That's why I think Wakeboarding has a much better chance of being selected than any Roller Sport.
Old August 9th, 2011, 03:35 PM   #13
Sir SkateAlot

Don't forget there is also the 'World games'. Olympics for non olympic sports, or also the waiting room for the Olympics. Last time in 2009, khaosiung, Chinese Taipei, there was Inline speed skating, Inline Hockey and Artistic roller skating. Roller derby should try to make it to those World games, next ones in 2013 in Cali Columbia. If they are succesfull there then they can think of an upgrade to the real Olympics, maybe together with Inline speed skating in 2020, if roller sports is chosen.
Sir SkateAlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2011, 06:38 AM   #14
buzzinghornet
mobile chicane

Roller sports are official events in Asian Games and Pan American Games. Combined, that's more that half of the world's population.
Old August 14th, 2011, 01:55 AM   #15
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackofthePack View Post
With the steady increase in judging scandals and the public outcry that has followed, the IOC has been hinting for close to a decade now that they are trying to distance themselves from adding more judged sports.
judging s scandles pale to the doping and steroid scandles that have happened , not even considering ones that are suspected. while some of the sport is judged and refed, many areas are not. the judged sports are often the top draw of the Olympics. roller sports can be seen as a way to tap into china and India viewing audiences. which would be worth the effort. as far as considering scandals for events that haven't happened. you can make anything up and will have nothing to back it up. the fact that the olympic comittee is considering Roller sports again ia a fact. and does not suggest they are trying to distance them from roller sports. judging is a detail that needs to be addressed. as it has in ice. flat track speed skating is very popular and attracts, viewers. dispite the judging or ref. problems. roller sports is very popular in south americia. Roller sports is becoming very popular in emerging markets. china india, brazil are poised to be huge players in the sport and and are what they might be looking at. As a skater I would love to see roller sports included in the olympics. speed skating has proven that many of the roller speed skaters are among the best in the world. on ice or on wheels.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2011, 02:12 AM   #16
ursle
Street Skater

Just a reality check
Watching that redhead in the half-pipe during the winter Olympics brought so much positive energy to the whole ensemble, be it good or bad, that I'm thinking the first roller sport they accept may be the four wheel variety.
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote