S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum Discussions about roller dancing, jamskating, rexing, rink session skating, dance circle skating, and similar types of recreational indoor and outdoor skate dancing .

Old December 8th, 2011, 08:59 PM   #1
funkysk8r

Default My advice for the rink Djs

PLAY TO THE CROWD! That is, tailor your selections to the majority in attendance, not what is on the default list for goodness sake. An experienced Dj can usually tell what sort of music is the best for a particular crowd. My other pet peeve is when they talk over the 'hook'!! So yeah , don't do that. Everything is going great, you're building up to a particular move to the beat and WHAM! Birthday announcement, Snack bar specials, ect!
Old December 8th, 2011, 10:46 PM   #2
Holiday Guy
Doing It Old School

My advice for rink Djs mix it up to much of one genre can get boring for some.
Old December 8th, 2011, 10:48 PM   #3
Skatervideoguy

Hi funkysk8r & Holiday Guy,

Great comments.

Here's my take on the DJ issue - from my Rink Manual.

DJ's, What are they about ??

I submit that a “DJ” (Disk Jockey) is an individual with a positive personality, that, by observing the patrons' ages and abilities, engages in a conversation with the patrons by talking with, playing selected music, lighting, and skate specials that will give the Skating Patrons a more interesting, challenging, safe and enjoyable skating experience.

A good DJ will:

1) Play music with a good “Skating” Tempo/Beat, music with a positive - or at least a “neutral” message There is never a need to play music with negative, profane, or particularly sexually suggestive language. There is far too much music available, of all genres, with clean language and “Skateable Tempo”, that there is simply no need to play any music that is otherwise. Youth, after all, are the primary audience.

2) Not “cut in” to the start, or ending, of a song - it should play out in full.

3) Play music in such a way as to control the pace of the skating (not too slow, and not too fast). Three fast, two slow, three fast – is a good way to control the pace.

4) Make the Skate Floor / Rink rules Announcements, X's 2 per Session.

5) Keep the Skate Floor lighting at safe levels.

6) Keep the Sound at safe levels. 85 dbs or below – measured with an SPL Meter.

7) Incorporate Skating Specials appropriate to the Patrons at the Session – in addition to a standard set of Skating Specials used at each session.

8) Acknowledge the Birthdays and Anniversaries of the Patrons, by announcements and giving out Free Passes.

A “DJ” should be a very positive, integral part of the Skating Rink experience. By proper observation, if there is a major issue/event anywhere in the Rink, they can slow the music, turn down the sound, maximize the lighting, direct the Floor Guards to problem areas, and maybe even clear the floor when necessary.

A good DJ can control the Skating Floor, in conjunction with good Floor Guards, to the benefit, enjoyment, and safety of everyone in the Rink.

Harold _ SkaterVideoGuy

Last edited by Skatervideoguy; December 20th, 2016 at 01:58 AM.
Skatervideoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2011, 08:16 PM   #4
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkysk8r View Post
PLAY TO THE CROWD! That is, tailor your selections to the majority in attendance, not what is on the default list for goodness sake. An experienced Dj can usually tell what sort of music is the best for a particular crowd. My other pet peeve is when they talk over the 'hook'!! So yeah , don't do that. Everything is going great, you're building up to a particular move to the beat and WHAM! Birthday announcement, Snack bar specials, ect!
agree I never talk when playing music still. I have been programing a local session. I know most of the skaters. so know what they like and can read the crowd to tell if it will work. I have a few skaters I watch. unless they are sick they should be skating their hears out. if not I'm doing something wrong. you must let the crowd work you. I'm playing fast ... slow. connecting fast and slow so you don't loose the energy is an important thing. like a good story there is a beginning, middle, and end. lately been starting mellow, then playing old school for the middle, to keep the manager happy, he doesn't approve of newer music. so I must transition to the new stuff. by the end I'll go from mary J or ceria to Alicia keys at the end.my theory is you don't need to talk the lights and music should talk.

the previous programer would kill the lights blast some fast track on and that was the start. I've been starting with old school and funk as they transion well to a steady beat. I play at a big size rink 100x200 roller girls and speed skaters frequent. I try to play a steady 100-120 bps, so they get a workout but don't go too fast. for family night.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zknXmwAPdwk
joy stick is a good compromise. a good dj must know a good song to speed or slow the crowd. a strong beat song can over ride a skaters too fast pace and helps keep everyone in sync. can't have speed skaters blasting by at 30mph plus with toddlers on the floor. with a strong medium speed beat everyone can find some thing to do. my favorite sessions were I felt everyone was on the same foot and same beat. I don't play my favorite songs but play the ones I know, if it feels right. I know most of the skaters. and try to know the faces that are regular skaters. I play family night so worry about content. play off the rinks server, but most of my music has populated it over the years. still the rouge file pops up and something slips by that should not. the kids the want to play games and well, you can't put them off forever. thankfully the one's mother last night told him to stop bugging me
I'm sure I'll get the one who demands "why are you not playing my childs request?"playing a session would be easy if music wasn't the only worry.
I boil it down to start middle, finish. begin with that planned. what happen between tart and stop depends on the crowd.

as a skater I think the dj should be skating with the crowd. he will have a better feel of whats going on and can adjust the lighting and sound to fit with the needs. also as a skaters can interact with the crowd. back in the day a disc jockey would load the turn tables with albums, dub from Ato B and set up for the next album. and do everything else. so much easier today. I remember a dJ would carry hundreds of pounds of Albums into the rink.set them up then. flip thru them to find the correct LP or cd.with albums you had to know the track. and then manually beat match between songs. today a 8 gb usb drive will hold enough for most sessions. and you can work on play lists between songs.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote