S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old September 12th, 2012, 01:48 AM   #1
Ryoskatekov
Professional N00B

Talking Laser Vans Skate Build Pics

Finished my Vans skate over the summer but havent had a chance to upload it so here it is !

Material
- Laser Elite Dual action plate
- Radar Zodiac (red)
- Vans OTW shoes
- Bones Red Bearings
- nuts, guts and bolts
- Patients and precision

Yeah I know some of you are going " Why would you put a High performance speed plate on a pair of flimsy vans?" well there are many parts to it.
1. I needed a plate that Looked good,
2. Control at high speeds
3. Quickness
4. Uniqueness&Originality (I can't live without it)
And the Laser DA seemed to fit all of it.

Anyways enough with the story here are the build pics

These hard cardboard (Used for bookbinding and album covers) has been tested in my previous vans skate build and held up for more than a year so decided to use it in this one also. The Pros are that there Very affordable, Easy to shape / Drill (no other tools than scissors) a little flex allows it to go back into its original shape, even after hard hit. while the Cons are that it probably wont last for more than 2, 3 years (have no idea YET) , Requires wide head or washers, and for some of you speed enthusiasts, Its not sturdy enough probably.

Laser was nice enough to include a special mounting bolt with square shaped part at top to stop it from spinning while mounting. ( Even though I sturuggled with the thick mounting bolt that I couldnt cut my self, as I have almost no tools)

Always Always Always, Mockup before you really start poking holes and tightning bolts.

Got some Grade 8 Yellow Zinc plated bolt from Ace (the hardware store) to replace the Crappy Slippery slotted OEM bolt it came with. Amazingly they had one that was Exactly in the same length..

Mocked up along with stock cushions with the Balloon trick.

Decided to Triple bolt each mounting hole. so 12 bolts total D: But very sturdy and hard to believe its paper sole-d

All the parts in a snug fit , Waiting for the wheels to be shipped.

The wheels came a few weeks after. But would not EVER buy these again... It was Very hard to put the bearings in even with use of proper bearing press.
But in the process damaged 2 bearings trying to pull it out of the ever so "Precise" wheels. Even my labeda snappers from ages ago had better machineing quality than the radar... I guess $99 bucks werent enough to get me good wheels.

Double Nut.... Don't really now if it works or not....

All put togather.

Its been about 3 , 4 month or so since I've built these skates, But After year of skating with the SureGrip competitor plate, The thing is a absolute dream!
Even though putting the bearings in were a pain, the Ride of the Radar Zodiacs are very nice. DA Laser Elite turns very well but stable at highspeeds. and the Mid ankle Vans shoes are very sturdy, had no problem with the skating, and was able to survive Speed skate practice without bolts ripping through. Overall, For a All around skater like me, the skate turned out to be a Very good skate. Probably the best I've Built.
Old September 12th, 2012, 02:13 AM   #2
roller bones 84

Talking Mounting hardware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryoskatekov View Post
Finished my Vans skate over the summer but havent had a chance to upload it so here it is !

Material
- Radar Zodiac (red)
- Vans OTW shoes
- Bones Red Bearings
- nuts, guts and bolts
- Patients and precision

Yeah I know some of you are going " Why would you put a High performance speed plate on a pair of flimsy vans?" well there are many parts to it.
3. Quickness

These hard cardboard (Used for bookbinding and album covers) has been tested in my previous vans skate build and held up for more than a year so decided to use it in this one also. The Pros are that there Very affordable, Easy to shape / Drill (no other tools than scissors) a little flex allows it to go back into its original shape, even after hard hit. while the Cons are that it probably wont last for more than 2, 3 years (have no idea YET) , Requires wide head or washers, and for some of you speed enthusiasts, Its not sturdy enough probably.

Laser was nice enough to include a special mounting bolt with square shaped part at top to stop it from spinning while mounting. ( Even though I sturuggled with the thick mounting bolt that I couldnt cut my self, as I have almost no tools)

Always Always Always, Mockup before you really start poking holes and tightning bolts.

Got some Grade 8 Yellow Zinc plated bolt from Ace (the hardware store) to replace the Crappy Slippery slotted OEM bolt it came with. Amazingly they had one that was Exactly in the same length..

Decided to Triple bolt each mounting hole. so 12 bolts total D: But very sturdy and hard to believe its paper sole-d

The wheels came a few weeks after. But would not EVER buy these again... It was Very hard to put the bearings in even with use of proper bearing press.
But in the process damaged 2 bearings trying to pull it out of the ever so "Precise" wheels. Even my labeda snappers from ages ago had better machineing quality than the radar... I guess $99 bucks werent enough to get me good wheels.

All put togather.

Its been about 3 , 4 month or so since I've built these skates, But After year of skating with the SureGrip competitor plate, The thing is a absolute dream!
Even though putting the bearings in were a pain, the Ride of the Radar Zodiacs are very nice. DA Laser Elite turns very well but stable at highspeeds. and the Mid ankle Vans shoes are very sturdy, had no problem with the skating, and was able to survive Speed skate practice without bolts ripping through. Overall, For a All around skater like me, the skate turned out to be a Very good skate. Probably the best I've Built.
I would trim those mounting bolts flush if those were mine to prevent wheel bite just saying other than that those look sweet congrats.
Old September 12th, 2012, 03:42 AM   #3
cojaco61
Locutus of QUORG!

Default rollerbones

just a quick hint. You really do not need to quote the post just to tell him to trim the bolts.

Having to scroll through the pics again is a bit of a PITA

But yes I agree on trimming the bolts. Also maybe T Nuts would have been a better option, as they will be less likely to pull through.

Other than that nice job.
cojaco61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2012, 04:38 AM   #4
SAAFloorGuard

Those came out really good. I did something similar a few years back, I put a pair of Lasers on a set of Globes. Here's how they came out. These were t-mounted as was suggested, I had them mounted normally at first, the t-nuts made a difference.

Old September 12th, 2012, 11:39 AM   #5
flatnacker

Default Like them....

Very nice to see something a little different on here. Great photo's helped teel the story of your build. Congrats on a cool original pair of skates
flatnacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2012, 11:40 AM   #6
swolltitan
Getting Back Into It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryoskatekov View Post

Material
- Radar Zodiac (red)
- Vans OTW shoes
- Bones Red Bearings
- nuts, guts and bolts
- Patients and precision

3. Quickness

All put togather.

Nice looking set up! Do those mounting bolts inside the boot not rub your feet?
Old September 12th, 2012, 12:17 PM   #7
Ryoskatekov
Professional N00B

Thanks for the comment everyone, and about the mounting bolt, So far it still haven't touched my wheels after speed practice or at work or shuffle skating so I guess its good for now, even though I would love to cut it off if i had the right tools...... as for the T-nuts, I will try it eventually, but the whole point of the paper sole was to add overall rigidness to the flexy rubber sole. and the Bolts do not rub on my feet as the original sole goes on top of it.
Old September 12th, 2012, 12:34 PM   #8
fierocious1

Nice!

Tags
build, da45, laser, sneaker, vans