S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Aggressive Skating Forum > Quad Vert
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Vert All kinds of aggressive skating on quad roller skates including quad vertical roller skating, quad bowl skating, quad skatepark tricks, and street skating tricks in quad skates.

Old August 22nd, 2007, 02:15 PM   #1
SpinifeX

Default Vertical Roller Skaters Do It Like a Crab

I wouldnt mind giving it a go... but i love the feel of inlines so much.

I'm curious though, in pretty much all the videos i saw of quad vert skating... they do the crab walk stance thing... all the time... with no offence intended... it just looks so stupid when they're doing it all the time, and never skate normally... is there a reason that they keep to this stance?
SpinifeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2007, 02:32 PM   #2
roller_dudette
skate addict!

Some prefer sidestance, some prefer frontstance. Many roller skaters were skateboarders and its a similar stance.

Here are couple examples of frontstance. Some do both:

http://www.rollergirl.ca/rollerskate...a-suggitt.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hLpSXGNtV0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTA8U...elated&search=
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5q_7V...elated&search=
roller_dudette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2007, 02:44 AM   #3
lee-mcdonald
the best member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roller_dudette View Post
OK, I second that!! Videos too, K?
lol if i find some quads, ill do it for you guys
lee-mcdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2007, 03:05 AM   #4
s243a

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinifeX View Post

I'm curious though, in pretty much all the videos i saw of quad vert skating... they do the crab walk stance thing... all the time... with no offence intended... it just looks so stupid when they're doing it all the time, and never skate normally... is there a reason that they keep to this stance?

I agree, I don't like when they do that all the time. In my opinion they should never ride the ramp twice in that position in a row. I thought it was called the Mohawk stance though.
s243a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2007, 01:22 PM   #5
roller_dudette
skate addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by s243a View Post
I agree, I don't like when they do that all the time. In my opinion they should never ride the ramp twice in that position in a row. I thought it was called the Mohawk stance though.

Well, now I see why the vert roller skaters dont post here, sounds arrogant if you ask me. Try it, it takes much greater skill and ability then riding frontstance. Then you will at least gain some respect for skaters that do side stance.
Old August 24th, 2007, 06:46 PM   #6
s243a

Quote:
Well, now I see why the vert roller skaters dont post here, sounds arrogant if you ask me. Try it, it takes much greater skill and ability then riding frontstance. Then you will at least gain some respect for skaters that do side stance.
Well if that is what you like then cool. Just as far as style goes it is just doesn't appeal as much to me. I'm allowed my opinion.
Old August 24th, 2007, 07:11 PM   #7
roller_dudette
skate addict!

I skate frontstance but I totally respect sidestance skaters. I cant do it and from doing it on the streets, its pretty darn fun which is why I skate in the first place. One day I might do both. Anyway, I dont like other skaters being dissed for being different, its not cool and saying that someone shouldnt do it more then twice is an arrogant comment. I'm sure many skaters on this forum may think things like grinding or skin suits looks stupid to them, stigmatize aggressive skaters in a very negative way, or think male artistic skaters are gay, etc. but most try to respect one another. I'm hoping some roller skaters will start coming to this forum. But with posts like this, if I were a sidestance skater, I wouldnt feel welcomed........ Everyone here is really cool I think and so is this forum. I want roller skaters to feel welcomed. Not dissed, not put down. Its fine if you dont care for that style but to tell someone not to do or putting them down for it isnt cool.
Old August 24th, 2007, 07:14 PM   #8
CrazeeDave
Geriatric Quad Class

Default ...it just looks so stupid

Quote:

That's exactly why my my buds and I didn't do it very much.

Yes, you get better front back balance control standing crablike and that's why most do it. [less noggin whacking?].
That is NOT a board you're on and even if it was I've never seen a surfer stand like that....to each their own!
We just learned to anticipate the vertical change while rolling front stance and geek look went out the window.
Plant a foot a little ahead and that works too.

roller_dudette, I liked the last vid u posted.
Looks like they were truly enjoying it!!!!
Except for the puffy lip....lol.

Last edited by CrazeeDave; August 24th, 2007 at 07:29 PM. Reason: subscribe
CrazeeDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2007, 07:55 PM   #9
zorg

Skating sidestance and parallel is both fun for me whatever it looks for others (crab, spider or s....d)!!!! Nelo from Madrid prefers parallel, many US skaters seems to prefer sidestance and I love as much seeing both.
Sidestance gives me the same feeling than windsurf or snowboarding
BTW I practiced side stance inline skating on verts but still have less fun than on quad skates.
Old August 26th, 2007, 08:05 PM   #10
s243a

Quote:
I cant do it and from doing it on the streets, its pretty darn fun which is why I skate in the first place. One day I might do both. Anyway, I dont like other skaters being dissed for being different, its not cool and saying that someone shouldnt do it more then twice is an arrogant comment.
You know when I really appreciate the crab stance? I really appreciate it when it is done as a grind.
Old August 26th, 2007, 09:10 PM   #11
roller_dudette
skate addict!

Well, Irene skates sidestance and she's my hero, so THERE! End of discussion.....its cool.

Here she goes!!

Woo-hoo!!

And if RS Dave ever does it down on inlines, he gets brownie points.

Last edited by roller_dudette; August 26th, 2007 at 11:17 PM.
Old August 27th, 2007, 05:22 AM   #12
RS Dave
YOU'RE GONNA LOVE MY NUTS

Quote:
And if RS Dave ever does it down on inlines, he gets brownie points.
To my knowledge the only skater who did sidestance vert on inlines competitively was Bo Elsbol. He was a sidestance quad skater who switched over to inlines and maintained the sidestance style (and it aint easy. Just doing it on a flat surface takes a lot of balance and is murder on the groin muscles). We'll have to ask Bernhard if he has any pics of Bo doing the crab on blades (and of course on quads for you dudee ).

"Of course I talk to myself. It's nice to talk to somebody sane."
RS Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2007, 05:15 PM   #13
roller_dudette
skate addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorg View Post
Skating sidestance and parallel is both fun for me whatever it looks for others (crab, spider or s....d)!!!! Nelo from Madrid prefers parallel, many US skaters seems to prefer sidestance and I love as much seeing both.
Sidestance gives me the same feeling than windsurf or snowboarding
BTW I practiced side stance inline skating on verts but still have less fun than on quad skates.

Did you learn on inlines or just mess with them? Is the balance much easier? I think quads are tons more fun but sometimes I think it would be easier to learn certain things on inlines.
Old August 28th, 2007, 09:02 PM   #14
zorg

I learned on quads, but tried inlines few hours before taking the shoes for making my vert quads. It was quite fast to do the same tricks on inlines, but I still had the impression to ride on rails instead of curves, so I quadzformed them!!! Some good inliners tried my quads too and could easily do nice tricks (air rotations, grinds).
BTW the balance was the same.
Old August 29th, 2007, 12:55 AM   #15
roller_dudette
skate addict!

Well, seems like I might be able to get some inlines for next to nothing. They are supposedly ugly but thats OK by me lol. Much cheapier then a longer plastic plate even! So if they are similar as far as skating goes and when I try them out if I find the inlines much easier, that will just confirm that I should get a full length plate when I can afford to do so. I just like the feeling of forward stability with the inlines. At least right now since vert is very new to me. Maybe when vert is easy and I'm more into tricks, the short plate will be ideal. But least this shouldnt hurt me.....

Last edited by roller_dudette; August 29th, 2007 at 03:49 PM.
Old August 29th, 2007, 03:33 PM   #16
SpinifeX

I'm fairly good at doing the crab stance on inlines and ice skates, i know what you meant by the groin muscle pain though ^^ when i was learning how to do it it really hurt that area trying to hold the position, but now i can comfortably skate around in crab stance, even do outward circles fairly tightly(so my feet are at more of an angle that 180 degrees around ^^. While i do find it a lot of fun to do, i think nothing compares to flying up ramps one foot next to the other, it just feels so right .
SpinifeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2010, 05:27 AM   #17
biffsk8er

Quote:
I know, old thread. So sue me! I got here late.

As to your comment; I've said it before and I'll say it again.....'Just because you start off an offensive comment with "no offence intended", it in no way negates your offensive comment.' If you truly meant no offence, then you should have reworded your sentence before posting it. As it stands, your statement reeks of offense as you called side stance skaters stupid.

I'll throw in my own offensive comment as well; Too often, poser skaters worry too much about their clothing, their style, & their brand of skates, instead of their actual ability, technical difficulty, and sheer quality of skating.

As to your real question; Side stance allows more stability. However, if you really watch side stance skaters, you'll often see them switch to frontside and fakie stance, as well as the side stance, during their skate sessions. I have been trying to master them all, even switch side stance (which is not coming along so easily).

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, and I can understand why some people do not like side stance. (Opinions are like a**holes....everybody has one and everybody thinks everyone else's stinks) However, you should often ask yourself a question before stating a personal opinion :

"Am I going to offend others with my opinion".

If the answer is "YES", then you should probably keep your opinion to yourself.

Last edited by biffsk8er; April 27th, 2010 at 04:16 PM.
biffsk8er is offline   Reply With Quote