S k a t e L o g     F o r u m

Closed in June of 2020

SKATELOG DOT COM: Web Site | Blog | Facebook |    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum Has Been Replaced by SkateDebate Dot Com ***

FROM SKATELOG FORUM HOST KATHIE FRY IN MARCH OF 2020:
This announcement is to let everyone know that after hosting the SkateLog Forum and its predecessors for nearly 20 years, I have decided it is time to permanently turn the forum over to a new owner and administrator. I cannot think of anyone more suitable to take on that role than my SkateLog forum co-host, Florida skater Jessica Wright. I am pleased to announce that Jessica has agreed to establish and host a brand new skating forum, configured like the SkateLog Forum, but with a new name and a new Web Site. This new forum is 100% owned and operated by Jessica.

NEW FORUM NAME: SkateDebate Forum
NEW WEB SITE: SkateDebate.com
NEW OWNER AND ADMINISTRATOR: Jessica Wright
REGISTER IN JESSICA'S FORUM: Create a SkateDebate Forum User Name

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Speed Events
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Events Announcements, reports, results, photos, and discussions about all types of speed skating events.

Old August 28th, 2007, 08:43 AM   #1
Clemens

Default Report of Bornholmrundt 2007 (100km)

Here is a short report about my participation at the 100km race around the island of Bornholm in Denmark on 12th of August 2007.

We took off at 08:00 in the morning. On the first 2 or 3 kms the usual sorting took place and I finally managed to stay in the second train and even do some work at the front of it. This train stayed together the whole race, picked up some skaters who fell back from the leading pack and only lost one at the end - I will come back to this later.

Weather conditions were optimal: 17 degrees Celsius, almost no wind, cloudy to foggy. Sometimes I thought I felt some drops, but that might also have been the sweat of skaters in front of me in the train...

These conditions probably contributed much to the fact that the winner, Johan Hamas from Stockholm, Sweden, reached the finish line in a new record time of 3:09:34, beating Claus Hechman from Danmark (who won two years ago) by only 5 seconds. The fight for the third place 5 minutes later was even closer: Only 1 second separated Lars Thomsen (last year's winner) from Mickey Ankerstrom, both local Bornholm skaters.

Street conditions were okay. No black ice, but also not too rough tarmac. Only a 500m long section had fresh gravel from road works. But the cars had already cleared some of it away, so it was not a major issue.

The route itself goes up and down almost like "Rutschebahnen" in Copenhagen's Tivoli (my favourite rollercoaster), highest reached altitude at about 120m above sea level. I myself was astonished how little effect the hills had on me and the group. And going downhill was a high speed pleasure, with Michal Thomsen (brother of Lars) volunteering to plough through the air as a big locomotive for our group (he was by far the tallest and strongest in our train).
One long downhill section has a slope gradient of 8%, which would have lead to dangerous velocities so there was a deviation on a small cycling road with a sharp curve. Before the start there was a warning that skaters going down the main road would be disqualified. But from my train only a Polish skater and me took the long way. It was a hard fight to reach the group again, although they obviously skated a little bit slower to "wait" for us. No one was disqualified, but at least I have now an easy excused, what happened to me at km 80: I started to cramp in my upper legs. Two times I fell behind, but managed to reach the group again. The third time I was lost. Fortunately this was only 5km before the end, but these 5km were long enough to loose 2.5 minutes compared to them until reaching the finish line after 3 hours 39 minutes.
Only there I noticed that the screw holding the lower end of the "power strap" had gone loose, so may be that was the reason that I slowed down? No idea, because I don't know when this happened. Probably it had no big effect, because I never felt unstable in that shoe despite of the defect.

Participation at the 100k race was at about 55 skaters. The "short version", a marathon, had about the same number of participants and with a winner's time of 1:28:28 the latter was a quite slow one. My guess is that the more ambitious skaters go for the 100k opportunity.

The race was on the cover page of the local newspaper "Bornholms Tidende" the next day, but only after buying a dictionary Danish-German and doing a word by word translation I found out what the title meant:
"Going downhill", also meaning "Going downwards".
A full page in the sports section featured several stories about some participants, but the main message took up the second meaning of the headline: The organizers dreamt of reaching a much bigger size of the event with at least 1.000 skaters, but instead the number of participants decreased a little bit. They were even not sure if they will find enough volunteers for the event in the future. So from what I understood from my basic translation the race is endangered. This would be a pity, because the organization was perfect, and Bornholm is a beauty (see below). Nevertheless I have to admit that I would not have come to this remote location just for the race. I was mainly here for the summer holidays with my family.

Will I do a 100 km again? Probably yes. I did a running marathon in spring 2006 in about the same time (3:53) - and after that I said "never again". The pain was much bigger then, although my time was 185% of the winner's time - compared to only 115% when skating Bornholmrundt. In any case I will always prefer a long distance skate race compared
to running, because only as skater in a group you can feel the team spirit to share the load of the headwind.

If you would like to see some pictures of the race then check
http://www.vark.dk/galleri/bornholm2007/index.html
or
http://www.wriggelingbottoms.com/gallery.asp?ID=38

There is even a report from the local TV station in the net:
http://www.tv2regionerne.dk/reg2005/...?id=378243&r=8

Long distance regards
Clemens

Shadow skater

PS: Some impressions of Bornholm:

This is the panorama from the lighthouse at the south east corner of Bornholm:

By the way: A new skating discipline was founded here, see
http://www.skatelogforum.com/forums/...ad.php?p=63329

This is the "reverse" panorama:

BTW: The sand here is so fine that it was industrially used for hourglasses some decades ago.

The beach is not very crowded:

Bornholm is a paradise for cyclers and skaters. There is an extensive network of cycling pathes and small roads with almost no traffic.

It's a paradise for cows, too ...

...as well as for windmills.

Last edited by Kathie Fry; August 28th, 2007 at 01:30 PM.
Clemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2007, 11:29 AM   #2
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Great report and photos as always Clemens. Sorry to hear about the end of race cramping, but glad you completed the task.
chuckboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2007, 02:08 PM   #3
johan_inline

Yes, it was a really nice race with a lots of uphill in the first 40 km. I am quite happy with my time, 3.09, hopefully i have a chance to beat that next year ;-)

/Johan
johan_inline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2007, 02:31 PM   #4
mvirtue
Rain Coordinator

Thank you for sharing!
mvirtue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2007, 12:00 PM   #5
SeJoWa

Clemens, thank you very much for writing up a quite exotic race report and adding some awesome pics. I clicked through the links you provided, and really liked one picture of a skaters' group seen from a distance in the mist. Catching up is really hard - I'm not astonished you got cramps, the effort is so disproportionate to speeding along in a paceline.
Old September 3rd, 2007, 03:02 AM   #6
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

Quote:
Yes, it was a really nice race with a lots of uphill in the first 40 km. I am quite happy with my time, 3.09, hopefully i have a chance to beat that next year ;-)
/Johan
OMG... is this THE Johan Hamas, Swedish speedskating champion, who finished #1 at Bornholmrundt and also at many many other races in the past? People... we are in the presence of speed skating royalty!

- Kathie
Kathie Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2007, 03:42 AM   #7
panch0

All Hail Johan!!
Old September 3rd, 2007, 04:51 PM   #8
johan_inline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathie Fry View Post
OMG... is this THE Johan Hamas, Swedish speedskating champion, who finished #1 at Bornholmrundt and also at many many other races in the past? People... we are in the presence of speed skating royalty!

- Kathie
Yes, thats me

/Johan
johan_inline is offline   Reply With Quote