S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Skating Forum General discussions about all types of skating, including how to skate, places to skate, skating events, skating equipment, and any topic that does not fall under one of our other skating forums.

Old October 13th, 2006, 10:34 PM   #1
maherwoman
Chatterbox Queen

Default Best bearings brand?

In your opinion, what is the best brand of bearings?

I've been told Bones Swiss is sworn-by as the best, is this true?

Thanks for your thoughts!

[FONT="Verdana"][B][COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]"All my possessions for a moment of time." --Queen Elizabeth I, last words[/COLOR][/B][/FONT]
maherwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2006, 12:45 AM   #2
Jibberish18

Smile

I'll give this one a quick bump for you. I'm sure you're going to get MANY answers to this question. I'm pretty sure that Bones and BSB bearings in general seem to be the most popular and trusty bearings among skaters of all kinds. I can confidently say that Bones are probably considered the best. Do you know about the whole Abec vs. ILQ vs. Bones rating system? Heh. Took me a little while to get a hold on it!

I haven't skated yet, but my girl does it for me. Last month I bought her Bones Reds and replaced her Abec 5 bearings with the Bones Reds. First off her wheel in freespin, spun MUCH longer than her old bearings. I've been told that this isn't a good indication of a good bearing so she skated on them to test them out. It was immediately apparent to her that the Bones Reds were fantastic bearings. She hasn't even broken them in yet so to speak. According to her they're much smoother, roll a lot longer and allow her to go faster with less effort. She also upgraded her wheels from 78mm to 80mm so I'm sure those had some sort of factor too.

Sometimes I feel like I speak entirely too much for a guy that hasn't skated yet.
Jibberish18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2006, 12:55 AM   #3
maherwoman
Chatterbox Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibberish18 View Post
Do you know about the whole Abec vs. ILQ vs. Bones rating system?
What?! All I've heard of is the ABEC rating system! Oh man, I keep coming across more and more information I don't know. Can anyone explain the above for me?

Quote:
Last month I bought her Bones Reds and replaced her Abec 5 bearings with the bones. First off her wheel in freespin, spun MUCH longer than her old bearings. I've been told that this isn't a good indication of a good bearing so she skated on them to test them out. It was immediately apparent to her that the Bones Reds were fantastic bearings. She hasn't even broken them in yet so to speak. According to her they're much smoother, roll a lot longer and allow her to go faster with less effort.
I have no idea how to tell the quality of bearings, except for the difference I've felt thus far between my skates, the rentals I'd skated on before, and the cheapo skates I'm ashamed to say I bought before skating on the rentals.

I can tell you that I only have ABEC-1's and they're fantastic...I have had no problems with them whatsoever, though I'm thinking I might need other bearings when I start artistic training.

Quote:
She also upgraded her wheels from 78mm to 80mm so I'm sure those had some sort of factor too.
Another thing I'm kinda clueless about. My wheels are 57mm (Sure-grip fame wheels), and I was told I needed to stick to narrower wheels, due to wanting to train artistically in the future (once I'm in better shape).

Quote:
Sometimes I feel like I speak entirely too much for a guy that hasn't skated yet.
Hehe...I'm actually quite surprised, from other advice of yours that I've read, that you don't skate yourself!

[FONT="Verdana"][B][COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]"All my possessions for a moment of time." --Queen Elizabeth I, last words[/COLOR][/B][/FONT]
Old October 14th, 2006, 01:06 AM   #4
Jibberish18

Quote:
Hehe...I'm actually quite surprised, from other advice of yours that I've read, that you don't skate yourself!
Everytime I post I'm afraid someone who's experienced such as Online-Inline or MrVirtue is going to walk into the thread call me a "tool" or something. I try to only comment on things that I have some sort of handle on or that I've researched for a while. Of course some things you just have to experience yourself. I had a thread about bearings from about a week ago. Find it and read it. It might not completely make sense now but once you learn more about bearings, wheels, etc. it'll make more sense.
Old October 14th, 2006, 02:07 AM   #5
motosk8ter
Senior Grand PooPah

Rosie, this senior thing really scares me .

I think the Swiss Bearing, Swiss 6 are some of the finest I have skated on. I have a friend switching to ceramics (another type of bearing) although the Swiss 6 are fine by my measure.

Wheel size, I think the previous post was referring to an inline wheel..78-80mm size.

My quad wheel size is 62mm and yours will be smaller for artistic work.

Phil
Old October 14th, 2006, 02:20 AM   #6
rwsz

Quote:
I'll give this one a quick bump for you. I'm sure you're going to get MANY answers to this question. I'm pretty sure that Bones and BSB bearings in general seem to be the most popular and trusty bearings among skaters of all kinds. I can confidently say that Bones are probably considered the best. Do you know about the whole Abec vs. ILQ vs. Bones rating system? Heh. Took me a little while to get a hold on it!

I haven't skated yet, but my girl does it for me. Last month I bought her Bones Reds and replaced her Abec 5 bearings with the Bones Reds. First off her wheel in freespin, spun MUCH longer than her old bearings. I've been told that this isn't a good indication of a good bearing so she skated on them to test them out. It was immediately apparent to her that the Bones Reds were fantastic bearings. She hasn't even broken them in yet so to speak. According to her they're much smoother, roll a lot longer and allow her to go faster with less effort. She also upgraded her wheels from 78mm to 80mm so I'm sure those had some sort of factor too.

not sure exactly which are best,,,depends on who you talk to,,,,the bones swiss are the best to me used them for years and last a long time if u clean and oil them. the bones red are very similar to the swiss but made in china, the bones rep is a friend of mine and likes them as well when you compare the cost of the two. if you are looking for just speed probably the swiss will last longer and go faster longer.

Rick
rwsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2006, 06:02 AM   #7
maherwoman
Chatterbox Queen

Great! Thanks for your advice, guys. Sounds like I'm on the right track with the Bones Swiss bearings! YAY! Nice to know I'm thinking on the right track.

About the tech aspect of things, I guess I'll pick it up eventually. Thanks for clearing up that Jibberish might have been talking about inlines. Got confused.

Sounds like I've got a good idea on size, too, which is nice to know!

P.S. I know...kinda weird to be senior on a forum so quickly! Kinda like it, though!

Old October 14th, 2006, 06:59 AM   #8
online inline

there's nothing wrong with sharing what you know (or heard) (or your girlfriend said), and unless you're steering someone way off course, who could get ruffled about that?

How to get good info is part of the struggle. Best bet is to work with a quality retailer like Charlie at Swatskates, or the guy at Adams Inline or Rich at Nettracing.com There/s a lot to this and they can work through your preferences and experience level and technical needs to outfit your rihgt.

You need to consider size of the bearing (608 or 688), the quality, whether or not it is servicable, the lube, amongst other things.

Bones Swiss is a great bearing but it might be the wrong bearing for you. Maybe you don't really need to spend four dollars a bearing, and maybe a greased bearing will hold up better for you. There's lots to consider in choosing a bearing.

In terms of learning about this stuff on your own, do a google search of inline skate bearings and you;ll find plenty of articles that will give you some good background.
online inline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2006, 01:35 PM   #9
rwsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by maherwoman View Post
Great! Thanks for your advice, guys. Sounds like I'm on the right track with the Bones Swiss bearings! YAY! Nice to know I'm thinking on the right track.

About the tech aspect of things, I guess I'll pick it up eventually. Thanks for clearing up that Jibberish might have been talking about inlines. Got confused.

Sounds like I've got a good idea on size, too, which is nice to know!

P.S. I know...kinda weird to be senior on a forum so quickly! Kinda like it, though!

Rosie i wouldnt spend the money on bones swiss for outside, inside yes, outside use a cheaper bearing the bones reds or something else. also the size could b2 607 for your indoor skates, depends on your axle size. check the numbers on the side to see what u have there already.

Rick
Old October 14th, 2006, 05:59 PM   #10
lee-mcdonald
the best member

"crap bearings"
lee-mcdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2006, 09:04 PM   #11
online inline

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee-mcdonald View Post
"crap bearings"
and what do you recommend?
Old October 15th, 2006, 12:33 AM   #12
maherwoman
Chatterbox Queen

Okay, so I saw my guy, Sparky, at the rink today, and he said that right now I basically have beginner's bearings (crap bearings, he said), and that he'll be outfitting me with China Reds the next time (within a week or two), and we'll just move up gradually from there. We're taking things on a gradiant, which is good, since I think too steep a gradiant would just land me no my butt too repeatedly.

Thanks for your advice, guys!

P.S. I might not wind up taking my skates outside.

Old October 15th, 2006, 01:07 AM   #13
Jibberish18

Quote:
crap bearings, he said
Just to let you know, their are bearings called "Crap Bearings".

http://www.inlinewarehouse.com/descpage.html?pcode=ECB8

Don't know much about them. I've just heard that they're good bearings if you're looking for something you can beat one for a cheap price.
Old October 15th, 2006, 02:56 AM   #14
online inline

Quote:
Okay, so I saw my guy, Sparky, at the rink today, and he said that right now I basically have beginner's bearings (crap bearings, he said), and that he'll be outfitting me with China Reds the next time (within a week or two), and we'll just move up gradually from there. We're taking things on a gradiant, which is good, since I think too steep a gradiant would just land me no my butt too repeatedly.
a good bearing is not going to make you go a heck of a lot faster. The difference in performance that can be gained by anyone except the most elite speed skaters is maybe a second or two per mile. That's not a lot.

In terms of bearings, here's the stuff to attend to in order of importance:

do they spin, are they installed correctly, are they well maintained (clean and free of grit and not worn out), are they good quality? Most any bearing that is not compromised, clean, and maintained, wil work just fine. It's not worth losing sleep over or wasting too much money on.
Old October 15th, 2006, 07:08 AM   #15
maherwoman
Chatterbox Queen

Quote:
Just to let you know, their are bearings called "Crap Bearings".

http://www.inlinewarehouse.com/descpage.html?pcode=ECB8

Don't know much about them. I've just heard that they're good bearings if you're looking for something you can beat one for a cheap price.
Oh, that's too funny...I think those are actually what he put on my skates, given that he said it so matter-of-factly when he said it. Hehe...I had no idea!!

Old October 15th, 2006, 07:11 AM   #16
maherwoman
Chatterbox Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by online inline View Post
a good bearing is not going to make you go a heck of a lot faster. The difference in performance that can be gained by anyone except the most elite speed skaters is maybe a second or two per mile. That's not a lot.

In terms of bearings, here's the stuff to attend to in order of importance:

do they spin, are they installed correctly, are they well maintained (clean and free of grit and not worn out), are they good quality? Most any bearing that is not compromised, clean, and maintained, wil work just fine. It's not worth losing sleep over or wasting too much money on.
Well, the good news is that he gives these things to me quite inexpensively (given that he built a $600 pair of skates, and only charged me $200 for them). For instance, he only charged me about $20 for my $50 wheels, etc. He's been really doing us good, so I'm not worried. I trust the guy. He's not screwing us over in price or in what he has in mind for the skates.

Also, we're going to be taking the bearings and wheels we take off my skates, and as long as they're still great quality, we'll be putting them on my daughter's skates. So, we're actually saving a lot of money in this.

So, no worries about price!

Thank you, though. I always appreciate honesty and when someone gives you good, frank advice. It was not wasted, believe me.

Oh, one thing I wanted to add is the fact that I'm not getting different bearings because I want more speed. I'm just going up the gradient on the quality of bearings, and gaining better roll out in my skating. Hope that makes sense.

Old October 15th, 2006, 09:37 PM   #17
rwsz

Quote:
Well, the good news is that he gives these things to me quite inexpensively (given that he built a $600 pair of skates, and only charged me $200 for them). For instance, he only charged me about $20 for my $50 wheels, etc. He's been really doing us good, so I'm not worried. I trust the guy. He's not screwing us over in price or in what he has in mind for the skates.

Also, we're going to be taking the bearings and wheels we take off my skates, and as long as they're still great quality, we'll be putting them on my daughter's skates. So, we're actually saving a lot of money in this.

So, no worries about price!

Thank you, though. I always appreciate honesty and when someone gives you good, frank advice. It was not wasted, believe me.

Oh, one thing I wanted to add is the fact that I'm not getting different bearings because I want more speed. I'm just going up the gradient on the quality of bearings, and gaining better roll out in my skating. Hope that makes sense.
sounds good,,,,,,,good move giving the older ones to your daughter, he sounds trustworthy and thats important.

Rick
Old October 16th, 2006, 03:37 AM   #18
maherwoman
Chatterbox Queen

Yes, we've really enjoyed the things we've done with him so far. It was nice to find someone so knowledgable and helpful the first time back to the rink.

Old October 22nd, 2006, 11:00 PM   #19
skillwilly
flying shoes

Lightbulb Found the best bearings already ?

Quote:
In your opinion, what is the best brand of bearings?

I've been told Bones Swiss is sworn-by as the best, is this true?

Thanks for your thoughts!
Maybe you can still use your old bearings, otherwise send them to me!
Watch my video part one and two ,on how too maintain them properly (they are expensive!), look on the main forum (follow the lamp)
skillwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2006, 12:45 AM   #20
drcrumble

The ILQ-9s are getting seriously slept on in this thread. I can't give a direct comparison with Bones Swiss (never used them), but these bearings are amazing, especially in terms of needing little maintenance. The Pro model and the ceramics have this special shielding design that supposedly keeps out 95% of debris, and I can attest that indeed these bearings seem to be bulletproof

I've been skating on a set of the "Pros" for a year and have never once cleaned or lubed them. It is also rather common for me to tromp around on dirt, wet grass, and other nasty things that bearings don't like. In spite of this, they are still very fast and free spinning, though at this point I can definetely tell that they at least need lube (most of them don't sound gritty per se, just very "metal on metal when they're spun).

They also come with a bottle of good lube and a neat cd with a bunch of Eddie Matzger's antics and also a segment where he shows how he cleans his own bearings (boil and bake method).
drcrumble is offline   Reply With Quote