S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Fitness Skating and Training Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Skating and Training Forum Discussions about on-skate and off-skate training, hydration, sports nutrition, weight loss, injuries, sports medicine, and other topics related to training and physical fitness for skaters.

Old February 12th, 2008, 06:34 PM   #1
jsakic200

Default Best Sunglasses for Skating?

i'm trying to find the best sunglasses for getting the wind and sun out of my eyes.

i've been looking at smith and native, which have cool interchangeable lenses. what do people prefer/use?
jsakic200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2008, 07:32 PM   #2
excelsk8
MPC Turbo

Hands down Rudy Project Horus glasses, its super easy to interchange lenses, and they are just plain awesome.
I am currently sponsored by Rudy Project, but I would really say the same even if I wasn't, check them out:
www.e-rudy.com

Fran
excelsk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2008, 08:07 PM   #3
giarc25

something cheap from walmart so if they get scratched, lost or damaged, they can be replaced for cheap
Old February 12th, 2008, 08:10 PM   #4
ncsk8rgirl
Discovered SEDS on 1/1/08

Quote:
Originally Posted by excelsk8 View Post
Hands down Rudy Project Horus glasses, its super easy to interchange lenses, and they are just plain awesome.
I am currently sponsored by Rudy Project, but I would really say the same even if I wasn't, check them out:
www.e-rudy.com

Fran
I love the sport mask (girls) glasses!!! I would wear them anytime
Old February 12th, 2008, 08:48 PM   #5
janneman

Arrow listings

Quote:
I am currently sponsored by Rudy Project
screaming ad... not distributed in europe ha ha

there's another topic on this here

and i do remember kathie gathering a list of sunglass-manufacturers.. but it may have been on the "old forum"....
at least it's on her compendicum

personally i swear with polarised glasses - against flicker of light on the road.
Old February 13th, 2008, 07:56 AM   #6
online inline

Ive got a pair of Rudy Projects that work well, and a cheaper pair of sunglasses made by Performance Bike with interchangable lenses. i really like the clear lenses becuase i can see the trail the most clearly, and when i can make out the visual acuity of the asphalt, i feel more in control perceptually. But in general, i don;t like wearing sunglasses, and currently don't. I'll give them another try when the sun re-emerges in the land of winter rains, but not expecting much different than before...

From what i've seen, i wouldn't get sunglasses that cost less than aobut $25 on sale, and if you get a real premium brand like Rudy Project, you may find that they are built much better and will last a really long time.

Make sure that your glasses are 100% UVA and UVB protection. It should say both. If it doesn't, you may be damaging your eyes. If it doesn't say it on the glasses, it probably is not, and salespeople will often times not give you a truthful answer, or they just don't know, so make sure it says it on the glasses.
online inline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2008, 11:43 AM   #7
skatefast

Also, if you're looking to save a little bit of money, the Tifosi "Slip" at less than $50 will give you good use and looks with interchangeable lenses.

I'm also in New England and very often use the clear lens on our gray days.
skatefast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2008, 11:59 AM   #8
Rods

I use SeaSpecs which I already had when I began skating as I kayak on the sea. They're great. I have a pair for cloudy and overcast days too (sunset specs). And they work as well, skating on land as they do in the water.

www.seaspecs.com

Rods
Rods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2008, 01:00 PM   #9
Drella
alive with pleasure

For the cheap, go with Bolle

For the not so cheap, I use Oakely
Drella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2008, 12:10 AM   #10
CrazyGambit
Socially Unacceptable

Since your thread said best...
Oakly splice are nice. If you are looking for cheap just get a pair out of the gas station.

I currently skate in my work revos.
Old February 19th, 2008, 02:02 PM   #11
j_nolesfan
Training to catch up.

I've got Nike Interchange Square. The metallic black frames.

I'm the ugly dude on the right. I have a much more fashionable helmet now, BTW.

They come with an amber lens and a smoke colored lens. When I look for sunglasses, there are a couple of goals I have in mind. Of course, they have to "fit" my face both comfort and look wise. Next, they have to shield my eyes from the wind because I log about 400 hours a year on a jet ski. They also have to be cool (not hot) to wear. A lot of sunglasses hold heat into your face and make you hotter (sweat in your eyes, fogging, etc.). Finally, my eyelashes must be longer than most other peoples because every single pair of Oakleys I've tried on has touched my eyelashes. I'm on my second pair. I lost the first pair doing 70 mph, yes 70 mph GPS verified on a hot rod jet ski when I looked down and the wind ripped them off my face. I don't wear a strap and I only lost that one pair due to the insane speed and looking down caught the wind. Since they're closing them out and they're very hard to find, I bought a spare pair.

For my first pair, I had purchased some aftermarket polarized lenses. They were the best polarized lenses I'd ever seeen. I felt like I had Xray vision when looking into cars on the road or into the water when jet skiing. I've read that you lose a little bit of detail, necessary detail with polarized when biking or skating and that it's not optimal so I haven't bought any polarized for my current pair.

Jeff
j_nolesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2008, 04:51 AM   #12
Jenn
Monkey with a rope!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by giarc25 View Post
something cheap from walmart so if they get scratched, lost or damaged, they can be replaced for cheap
I agree with this. The last pair of expensive sunglass I got broke in less than 6 months. My Target $6 specials have been going strong for pushing 4 years!
Jenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2008, 05:21 AM   #13
ultrask8

Default cheap

Skate into the sun with cheap sunglasses = headache! Not good IV and UV protection... in bright sunlight especially bad... also lightly tinted cheap glasses for low light conditions, everything looks flat like a b and w picture... hard to tell whats a road hazard....and whats not..
ultrask8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2008, 11:42 AM   #14
speedysktr
President of Everything

I can relate to the cheap sunglasses thing, but a few years ago I started using sunglass cases-for all of my glasses. I have a pair of Oakleys that I've had for over 8 years just by religously using the rigid case. I now mostly use the clear lense on the Oakleys because I've been using some Bolles for the past 4. I agree with Ultra on the light lense thing and mostly use the clear glasses on the bike trail because it's largely shaded. You need to be able to see as much detail in the spotty shade of the leaves.
speedysktr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2008, 12:21 PM   #15
merlin
Caribbean Speed Team

Cheapest glasses possible that don't fall off when you turn your head or look down.

Here in Australia, we have a legal minimum standard all sunnies must meet (in terms of UV protection, glare, etc) - so we don't have too many issues with 'rubbish' sunnies that don't work properly. http://www.accc.gov.au/content/index...mItemId/382429 if anyone really wants to know all about it!!
Old February 20th, 2008, 09:36 PM   #16
tdellaringa
Charlie Brown on Skates

Quote:
www.e-rudy.com

Fran
Shill! Ok Fran, can you point toward some specific models that you would suggest? I'm massively overwhelmed by the sheer number of choices.

Performance Bike seems to have a nice selection. I'd like to get a new pair before I head to Squiggy, what I have now is junk.
Old February 20th, 2008, 11:31 PM   #17
chaosdsm

Since I'm blind without glasses (20/110), I have prescription sunglasses, but my prescription limits me to the frame styles I can use. I cannot wear wrap-arounds because of my prescription, they aren't compatible with my lenses, so I wear Ray-Ban model rb2128. They do a really good job of keeping the sun & most of the wind out of my eyes, but they aren't perfect. Because they are an all plastic frame (except the hinge), over time (about 18 - 24 months) the plastic stretches & the glasses become loose. Any good glasses shop can heat them up & get them back to like new fit, but that only works a couple of times.

If it weren't for the limiting factor of my prescription, I would probably buy Panoptx Diablo CV Sunglasses

Any sunglasses that wrap around tightly can do a really good job of blocking most of the wind & sun regardless of cost. Unless of course, you have super sensitive eyes, in which case sport goggles may be your best answer.
chaosdsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2008, 12:00 AM   #18
CrazyGambit
Socially Unacceptable

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedysktr View Post
I have a pair of Oakleys that I've had for over 8 years just by religously using the rigid case.
I too am able to keep sunglasses for a long time. I have a old pair of revos that i have had for like ten years. They recently got retired. I was wearing my nicer pair at a festival last summer and took my youngest son to a porta john. They slipped off my shirt and into the slop. Bought a pair of 3050's to replace them. Then bought a pair of 3015's to replace my old pair.
Old February 21st, 2008, 07:29 AM   #19
JGwinner
(w)Rec(k) Skater

Consumer Reports did a special on sunglasses a while ago.

It turned out, the $2.00 pair they found protected your eyes BETTER than Oakley's and other expensive brands.

Their recommendation was try them on and make sure you get a set that doesn't have cosmetic blemish or optical imperfection in the lens, and if they are OK, go with the cheap pair.

I did buy a set of Photochromatic glasses a while ago on the Internet for about 70 bucks - but I'm not totally happy with them, they BARELY get dark. My problem was that I often skate right after I get off work, and even if I head to the beach from work (about 10 minutes) it'll get dark on me while I skate, so I wanted sunglasses I didn't have to take off. So the photochromatic would seem to be perfect, if I could find a darker set. The optical shop in the mall wanted hundreds of dollars, for that I'll get a perscription.
== John ==
JGwinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2008, 08:10 AM   #20
oompie

Don't go cheap on glasses!! Good vision AND good protection are what you want and do'nt find in $2 wll mart glasses.

You don;t have to go and buy the most expensive ones out there, but get yourself some quality will easy your ride since you see a lot more clear and will protect your eyes. Standard UV protection that all the glasses have is not always enough. Especially in very sunny places. You'd better get yourself some good ones then!

Myself I got the newest Oakley radar. Always skate with contact and with my old sunglasses every once in a while a contact would blown out of my eye. Never happend with my new glasses so the do keep the wind out of your eyes (especially in the combinatioen my head-oakley radar). They have probably the best lenses available (what oakley is known for) in wear, vision and protection (both sunlight AND stone-proof). Not so strange almost all ice-speedskaters and cyclists use Oakley sunglasses.

Of course tehre are a few other brands on the market that offer good quality. But glasses is just like boots, they should be (almost) perfect.
oompie is offline   Reply With Quote