S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Fitness Skating and Training Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Skating and Training Forum Discussions about on-skate and off-skate training, hydration, sports nutrition, weight loss, injuries, sports medicine, and other topics related to training and physical fitness for skaters.

Old March 29th, 2008, 05:45 PM   #1
CindyinAtl
Just getting rolling

Smile Best gym workout for skating muscles

What exercises or weights at the gym will do the most to prepare my "skating muscles?" I'm starting from ground zero and will be going to the gym 3 times a week while learning to skate. I know what weights to do to get my legs in shape for cycling. But what about skating?
CindyinAtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2008, 06:04 PM   #2
online inline

i think you have a good start as for an answer by looking at a couple of other threads here including theo one Do You Just Skate or Go to the Gym as well?

It would also help to know what your goal is, what type of skating you do, do you race, what kid of shape you are in already, etc...

But for starters, there is no such thing as "a best gym workout:" The workout must be tailored to you and what you want to get out of it.It will change based on what you did the day before, what you plan to do next week, and what you did last week, and it changes on a seasonal basis. It also will change on how well the strategy is - or is not- working out.

It;s a work in progress.
online inline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2008, 06:10 PM   #3
Greenetuckian

When I started on inlines my lower back would give me fits on long skates. Not like injury pain but muscle fatigue. I would concentrate on your core muscles (abs, back and obliques) for stability and of course your legs. Use higher reps for endurance instead of lower reps for strength. For balance stand on one leg as long as you can to help strengthen your ankles. As you get better on your skates and are able to go faster and longer you probably will need to concentrate on upper body at the gym as skating will really work your legs.
Old March 29th, 2008, 06:58 PM   #4
Wolfgang

Squats.
Almost everything you do in any form of skating has a lot to do with bending your knees and supporting yourself with your leg muscles.
Doesn't matter if you do them at the gym or at home.
Wolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2008, 10:40 PM   #5
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

With some of your evxercises you already like, maybe you can do them on a bo-su ball to add an element of balance. Like if you do dumbell stuff for arms and shoulders, do them on the ball. And definitely look at the thread(s) OnlineInline referred to, too.
Bill in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2008, 05:32 PM   #6
Code Monkey

rowing machine. but don't do it like you're just going for a nice relaxing row. warm up rowing for ten minutes and then row like Jaws is chasing you. Do this for thirty minutes or more if you can.
Code Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2008, 06:06 PM   #7
Bryan
Dances with Short Buses

I agree with Greentuckian: as a beginning skater, most of your discomfort is going to be in your feet and your lower back. The feet thing will only be alleviated by skating more, and it's probably going to be muscle fatigue in your lower back that will be the limiting factor in how much you're able to skate. I don't know what exercises will work for that, though. All I know is that I don't recommend the method I used: skate a few thousand miles and if it still hurts, skate a few thousand more.
Old April 1st, 2008, 07:50 PM   #8
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
All I know is that I don't recommend the method I used: skate a few thousand miles and if it still hurts, skate a few thousand more.
Well, at least your workout is easy to remember...
Old April 2nd, 2008, 12:05 AM   #9
elgreek84

can someone talk about the pre-exercise routine warmups? I just went skating for 4 miles right now and my back and shin were really stiff, I just realized I didn't do any stretches, what kind of things do you guys do before you go on a long skate? Also, do you guys wear elbow pads? wrist pads? helmet? knee pads? or do these things just get in the way? Also, what do you do about water? do you guys carry any? how? Thanks in advance!
elgreek84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2008, 12:26 AM   #10
Bryan
Dances with Short Buses

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgreek84 View Post
can someone talk about the pre-exercise routine warmups? I just went skating for 4 miles right now and my back and shin were really stiff, I just realized I didn't do any stretches, what kind of things do you guys do before you go on a long skate?
I’m usually horrible about stretching pre-skate, but I know one thing: the more the better. I also am more likely to skate cold and then stop and stretch after a few miles. I don’t think that’s generally considered a good practice, though.

Quote:
Also, do you guys wear elbow pads? wrist pads? helmet? knee pads?
Yes, yes, yes, yes!

Quote:
or do these things just get in the way?
No, not really. A helmet can get hot in the summer (and in the winter if you’re doing it right!), but wearing a skullcap made of a wicking material such as UnderArmor helps a lot if that bothers you. Kneepads and wristguards will actually make you a better skater: once your subconscious mind learns that it won’t hurt for a month if you screw up a bit and have to drop down and slide on one knee, you’ll find it easier to relax and practice doing things that you’re not really sure you can pull off 100% of the time.

Quote:
Also, what do you do about water? do you guys carry any? how? Thanks in advance!
Definitely. Either find a bottle that is easy to carry with wristguards on or get a pack of some sort. Most people get some sort of belt bag (not sure if “fanny pack”*was a regional term for me or is universal) that has a bottle pouch and some general storage. Once you get to the point that you’re skating fairly hard for an hour or two, you’ll want to start taking some nutrition with you as well.
Old April 2nd, 2008, 12:36 AM   #11
elgreek84

Thanks a lot for that! I was a afraid about the "fanny pack" deal, maybe I'll get one of those hydration packs, I guess I can use it when I run or bike as well. Good deal.
Old April 2nd, 2008, 03:43 AM   #12
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

I would say that stretching is good, but don't do it cold. Do it after you skate, OR do some pretty good warmup and then stretch.

To carry stuff, if you can't stand the fanny pack, some people wear a cycling jersey with a pocket in the back.
Old April 2nd, 2008, 03:51 AM   #13
Bryan
Dances with Short Buses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
To carry stuff, if you can't stand the fanny pack, some people wear a cycling jersey with a pocket in the back.
Or shorts with pockets.

*ducks*
Old April 12th, 2008, 03:09 AM   #14
elgreek84

Ugh, so I'm starting to realize why many of you give the advice to not start skating with big wheel (>90mm wheel) skates. My lower back gets stiff after about 30 minutes and my shins, oh my poor shins, especially the outside part gets so darn stiff trying to do that silly double push!

So what do you guys think about the stairmaster as a skating workout? Any good? It seems like it's kind of the same movements

Is squats stilll the ultimate?

Is it all about quads, shins and lower back? do i care about teh calf? hamstrings?
Old April 12th, 2008, 03:53 AM   #15
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

personally, i hate the stairmaster. if you like it, it might be okay. it makes peoples rears big, and so does skating... if you can stand low in a skating position then you might work lower back more. whatever works for you.
Old April 12th, 2008, 04:07 AM   #16
Drella
alive with pleasure

I just picked up a slideboard.

Holy crap is it tough! I see others just sliding along, doing those youtube tutorials- showing proper technique,, but damn is it hard!

I'm having a heck of a time doing the slide with only one foot on the board. Especially since I waxed it.

When I got it, I could barely make the full slide without coming to a stop mid-way. I went to the garage and grabbed some Armor All, gave it a spray-- and hot damn it's slippery!

Now, even to one-foot it-- takes perfect balance..

I'm digging it! It's a crazy tuff workout if you do it correctly...
Drella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2008, 04:31 AM   #17
elgreek84

are you saying your back doesn't hurt when you skate?
I don't even skate that low, I think I'm jsut too top heavy (i'm 5'6 185 lbs, but muscular and I think all my weight is on my upper body)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
personally, i hate the stairmaster. if you like it, it might be okay. it makes peoples rears big, and so does skating... if you can stand low in a skating position then you might work lower back more. whatever works for you.
Old April 12th, 2008, 05:35 AM   #18
online inline

Quote:
Ugh, so I'm starting to realize why many of you give the advice to not start skating with big wheel (>90mm wheel) skates. My lower back gets stiff after about 30 minutes and my shins, oh my poor shins, especially the outside part gets so darn stiff trying to do that silly double push!

So what do you guys think about the stairmaster as a skating workout? Any good? It seems like it's kind of the same movements

Is squats stilll the ultimate?

Is it all about quads, shins and lower back? do i care about teh calf? hamstrings?
elgee, i think that beginner skaters all the way up to intermediates are best served by skating a lot to gain technical skill and conditioning. I think that advanced skaters are well served by supplementing their skating with cross-training. But at the stages where the skater is still learning a lot of technique stuff, do not rob yourself of that valuable time. It is essential.

But if you have extra time, or the weather is bad, or if you feel you are ready for it, i would work on all those areas - calfs, hamstrings, quads - core, everything. There is no magic exercise or station at the gym, however. It is best to develop a training strategy if you are going to do it at all. And the best resources i know to turn to are layed out in Barry Publow's "Speed on Skates", and the Beggsports training videos on the Bont website. Also very good are the land drill/plyometrics and the "Abs like Juan", both of which are found on the Bont website. Cross training on the bicycle is also a favorite of elite skaters. You can also talk to a skating coach - and that may be a good reason to look to an indoor skating team in your area. And occassionally you can find a trainer who knows a lot about leg specific sports like skiing or skating.

There's a lot of very good information out there, but be careful, start out slowly and progressively build up your workout routine, and try to develop a balanced program for best results.
online inline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2008, 06:28 PM   #19
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

Quote:
are you saying your back doesn't hurt when you skate?
I don't even skate that low, I think I'm jsut too top heavy (i'm 5'6 185 lbs, but muscular and I think all my weight is on my upper body)
My back is definitely the first thing that gets tired. That's why I was suggesting that you might want to do the stairmaster in a down position, to work your back. Sorry if I was confusing.

Still, on a rainy day, just me and a stairmaster locked in a room, I think I'd do some kind of plyo rather than get on the stairmaster. But if you like the stairmaster, and conditions are such that you can't skate, go for it. It can't hurt.
Old April 13th, 2008, 12:31 AM   #20
SpeedLimit
away from the rabbit-fox

For me, my lower back does get sore, but mostly after I skate. My limiting factor is my hip flexor muscles right where the quads meet the torso in front, from pushing. I am trying some different push-off techniques to minimize this. I've had a tight psoas muscle before, and it's the toughest to stretch. For my back, I lay on my belly and do the "superman" stretch for strengthening.
As for cardio, I can do the elliptical for hours, which I think is better than any stairmaster. Plus you can set the resistance if you want a more "stairmaster-feel"
SpeedLimit is offline   Reply With Quote