S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Skating Forum General discussions about all types of skating, including how to skate, places to skate, skating events, skating equipment, and any topic that does not fall under one of our other skating forums.

Old April 4th, 2008, 09:11 PM   #1
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

Default Are These Pennsylvania Roller Rinks Still Open?

To our roller skating friends in and near Pennsylvania: Are all of these PA roller skating rinks still open? I'm sure I missed quite a few, so if any of your local rinks are not listed, let me know.

Roller Skating Rinks in Pennsylvania
http://www.quadskating.com/rinks/us/pa.htm

- Kathie
Kathie Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2008, 10:21 PM   #2
JandKLarson

Kathie -

As our speed league includes teams based in PA, a few that I know of that are closed are Caln, Embassy and Skate 309. Ones that I know that are still open (and still have speed teams) are Fantasy, Skateaway Shillington, Skateaway Whitehall, iSkate81, both Olympic rinks, Valley. There is also a Skateaway in Bethlehem, PA, (a branch of SOS Speed is located there) 4500 Easton Avenue, Bethlehem, PA 18020, Telephone: (610) 865-4004. As far as I've heard, the Palace is also still open.

Hope this helps.
Julie
JandKLarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2008, 03:09 AM   #3
NaNaDo

Thumbs up Central PA skating !

Fantasy - great Sunday evening Live Organ Session - Artistic and Speed Clubs
Fountain Blu - caters to kids rather than Adults and I believe Hockey Teams.
Olympic - Enola Pa - great Tuesday Evening Live Organ Session
Roller Motion - Live Organ Session (Thursday Evenings... I think)
The Skatery - Small, but "very nice rink" ... very nice people there!
Trout Pond - Muncy PA - sessions that Adults and Kids skate together... A few skater come down to Olympic on Tuesday Evenings

Many PA skaters head down to Sportsman's Hall, MD for a great Sunday evening Live Organ sessions...
NaNaDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2008, 03:33 AM   #4
belladonna

I'm up to 165 roller rinks in PA....only 9 closed so far. It may take a while to call all these places, lol. Blessed to be living in the land of sk8ing but good grief
belladonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2008, 03:53 AM   #5
NaNaDo

Quote:
Originally Posted by belladonna View Post
I'm up to 165 roller rinks in PA....only 9 closed so far. It may take a while to call all these places, lol. Blessed to be living in the land of sk8ing but good grief

Hi BellaDonna!!!
Yes we are Blessed in PA... Lots of active rinks and great sessions for all styles of skting.... Jam, Shuffle, Kids, Parties and our wonderful Competitive SKaters!!! Great Skating place to live!!!
Old April 5th, 2008, 04:23 AM   #6
belladonna

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en...767e93464c3930

Does this link work for you Regina? I told my hubby I'd never heard of half the towns and needed a map to see which were nearby...fiddling with google.
belladonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2008, 04:26 AM   #7
NaNaDo

Quote:
Originally Posted by belladonna View Post
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en...767e93464c3930

Does this link work for you Regina? I told my hubby I'd never heard of half the towns and needed a map to see which were nearby...fiddling with google.

YES.... and what a great map!!!
Old April 5th, 2008, 04:45 AM   #8
Pa SkAtEr
Need New Inlines

There is a roller rink her in Waynesboro. Its called cosmic skate and play. The place is going downhill since some people that work there hate kids and they are very strict. Its no fun. But SOS was down here but it wasn't getting anythere but now we have Synergy Speed Team from VA branching down here about sometime next year.
Pa SkAtEr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2008, 04:57 AM   #9
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Since you are connected to PA Skaters.

Hi NaNaDo,

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaNaDo View Post
Fantasy - great Sunday evening Live Organ Session - Artistic and Speed Clubs

Many PA skaters head down to Sportsman's Hall, MD for a great Sunday evening Live Organ sessions...
Since you are obviously connected to some of those more mature Organ Skaters, who skate great, perhaps at your rink skates you can take the PA list and slowly update it over time... Include the Organ Player since he might travel farther.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave

P.S. I would like to hear if Blackman Street's SkateAway still has Organ Music.
MANY_SkatingDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2008, 05:34 AM   #10
NaNaDo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANY_SkatingDave View Post
Hi NaNaDo,

Since you are obviously connected to some of those more mature Organ Skaters, who skate great, perhaps at your rink skates you can take the PA list and slowly update it over time... Include the Organ Player since he might travel farther.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave

P.S. I would like to hear if Blackman Street's SkateAway still has Organ Music.
Hello Dave!
Don't know Blackman Street's Skateaway... sorry, can't help you there!
Organist's :
>Fantasy - Lonnie Brooks 2nd and 4th Sunday's of the Month
>Olympic - Marty Dumic Tuesday Evenings
>Roller Motion - Corey Friedinger (spelling???) Thursday Evenings
>Sportsman's Hall MD. Sunday evenings Marty Dumic, Corey Friedinger, Ralph Brown rotate Sunday Evenings throughout the month.... doesn't matter which Sunday evening you choose to go... it's always "good" music!!! And a great place to skate... what a terrific floor!!!
>Have to mention Holiday Skating Center in NJ - Ralph Brown - Tuesday Evenings
>At one time a few of the Organ Skaters talked about Mt Gretna... but I haven't heard it mentioned lately.

And we get a "Great Treat" here in Central PA a few times a year when these Organist's get together and have an Organ Jamboree! Those evenings are very reminisent of the 70's .... Full House of great skaters that travel from all over PA, NJ, Deleware, Maryland to skate these sessions.... makes ya feel 25 again!!!

And Dave !!! some great news... Not "all" of the Organ Skaters are the "Mature Skaters" (love the way you classified that ) ... we have been getting a crowd of 35 and 40 year olds coming to Olympic on Tuesdays and there is a great variety of ages coming to Sportsman's Hall on Sunday's... Some Teens and young Adults are lovin' the Organ Music!!!
Old April 5th, 2008, 05:45 AM   #11
retread

Oh absolutely, Sportsmans is the place to be on Sunday nights! Thanks Pennsylvainia for lending us the GREAT organists!
Bob
retread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2008, 05:47 AM   #12
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Use those Organ Grinders to Update PA

Hi Regina, aka NaNaDo,

I started skating as a teen in Wilkes Barre in the 60's.
And then mostly gave it up as I went to college in Bethlehem, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaNaDo View Post
Hello Dave!Some Teens and young Adults are lovin' the Organ Music!!!
OK, You know the Organ Players, which is good. BTW I always wondered if my grade school friend named Michael B. ever came back to playing the organ at skating places as he did when we were so so young. Gosh he could really play the organ..

My idea is for you to share with the Organ Guys, Kathie's list, and have them update it. Again I am not expecting you to know as much as they do since these Organ Guys travel in a greater circle.

Forgotten Point: Yes I have seen the young 30-40 year olds and even younger come and skate hard in PA (Trexlertown) and up here in MA sometimes seeded by us supposedly older skaters. It is great to have them and it seems like they like the interaction and WE like the value they add.

Yours in Skating, born PA-Skater, MA/NY Skating Dave

Last edited by MANY_SkatingDave; April 5th, 2008 at 05:52 AM. Reason: Forgot a point
MANY_SkatingDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2008, 05:48 AM   #13
NaNaDo

Quote:
Originally Posted by retread View Post
Oh absolutely, Sportsmans is the place to be on Sunday nights! Thanks Pennsylvainia for lending us the GREAT organists!
Bob

Oh, you bet Bob!!!!
What a wonderful rink and we have met some very nice people there!!!
The floor is among the "best" and biggest we have ever skated on!!!

And "Thank You" for welcoming all of us PA skaters to your rink!!!!!!

Last edited by NaNaDo; April 5th, 2008 at 07:42 AM.
Old April 5th, 2008, 06:00 AM   #14
retread

See the "Favorite songs to shuffle to" thread on the Artistic and Session skating forum. I posted a picture of Corey doing his thing at Sportsmans a couple weeks ago. He had to set up his portable keyboards as the rink's Hammond was on the fritz. Go back a couple posts, there is a You Tube link of him working out last summer. The only recurring happy dream I ever had was shuffling again to music like Bill Clark did. I'm living it, the only dream I've ever had come true.

Bob
retread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2008, 06:05 AM   #15
NaNaDo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANY_SkatingDave View Post
Hi Regina, aka NaNaDo,

I started skating as a teen in Wilkes Barre in the 60's.
And then mostly gave it up as I went to college in Bethlehem, PA

OK, You know the Organ Players, which is good. BTW I always wondered if my grade school friend named Michael B. ever came back to playing the organ at skating places as he did when we were so so young. Gosh he could really play the organ..

My idea is for you to share with the Organ Guys, Kathie's list, and have them update it. Again I am not expecting you to know as much as they do since these Organ Guys travel in a greater circle.

Yours in Skating, born PA-Skater, MA/NY Skating Dave
Will check with Marty... Word usually travels quickly when these guys are playing somewhere. Are you looking for info in case they travel out of state to play???? Or are you looking for any of them to travel to your area? Marty, Ralph and Corey are really making a great effort to spread the Organ Music around again!!!

I don't remember Michael B. .... again, sorry! So many Organist's left as Disco became "the thing".... Sad times!!!
We were from Philadelphia in the 70's, Skated at and met my husband at Pike Rollarena in South Hampton, when Bill Clarke still played there! also skated at Holiday in NJ, CC Skate Ranch and occasionally up to Allentown Wilkes Barre area too! A real nice small rink in Emmaus that we all went to one Saturday evening absolutely "paniced" when they heard we were all from Philadelphia!?!?!? But we had a nice time with the skaters there.... we didn't exactly fit in, but still had a nice time!
Old April 5th, 2008, 06:20 AM   #16
NaNaDo

Quote:
Originally Posted by retread View Post
See the "Favorite songs to shuffle to" thread on the Artistic and Session skating forum. I posted a picture of Corey doing his thing at Sportsmans a couple weeks ago. He had to set up his portable keyboards as the rink's Hammond was on the fritz. Go back a couple posts, there is a You Tube link of him working out last summer. The only recurring happy dream I ever had was shuffling again to music like Bill Clark did. I'm living it, the only dream I've ever had come true.

Bob
Ya know... I heard it said one time.... that Corey is the "closest thing to Bill Clark that's ever come along" ... Heard that the night Lonnie, Marty, and Corey played an Organ Jamboree at Fantasy! Although I love his shuffle music my absolute favorite is his version of "Night's in White Satin" for a Couples Skate... He played it last month... do you remember it????

You will have to say hello to us the next Sunday we are there!!! I am easy to spot ... I look much like my "Avatar".... Spikey White Hair!!! We hope to be there this Sunday... Ralph is playing right?

I will go look for the pic of Corey!
Old April 5th, 2008, 06:59 AM   #17
NaNaDo

Hi Bob,
just found the YouTube of Corey
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woqBM...eature=related
"Thanks" am enjoying it as I am posting... Gee... can't wait for Sunday after listening to this!!!

Hope to see you Sunday Bob !!!!!! And anyone else who "loves to shuffle".... please come to Sportsman's Hall MD Sunday evenings.
Old April 5th, 2008, 11:29 AM   #18
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

Thank you so much Julie, Regina, Belladonna, Pa SkAtEr, SkatingDave, and retread. All of your comments have been added to the PA rinks page at
http://www.quadskating.com/rinks/us/pa.htm

Very Cool!

- Kathie

PS: If you want to tell any of the organ players about this forum or this PA rink list remember, we have SkateLog Forum business cards you guys can hand out to interested parties. They are free - just send me your mailing address and I'll send you a supply.
Kathie Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2008, 01:50 PM   #19
MattJazz

I skate the Palace 3-4 times a week.
I do Derby at Jamz in Philly(Hellcity Hooligans)(PennJersey She Devils), but we are moving back to Rolling Thunder soon.
http://www.rollingthunderskating.com/
Which is reopening in about 1-2 months I believe.
I also skate i81, Cosmic Skate and Fantasy skate when traveling.
I am on my way to Fantasy in Reading right now.
(concert in festival)http://www.berksjazzfest.com/artists...Carter_Quintet
I am Regina's Bassist.

Matt
MattJazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2008, 01:57 PM   #20
MattJazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa SkAtEr View Post
There is a roller rink her in Waynesboro. Its called cosmic skate and play. The place is going downhill since some people that work there hate kids and they are very strict. Its no fun. But SOS was down here but it wasn't getting anythere but now we have Synergy Speed Team from VA branching down here about sometime next year.

I stopped in Cosmic while I was on tour. I thought they were really sweet.
I saw lots of kids having a great time. I tour all over so I am getting to a lot of rinks. (just in Davis CA. - cool sports complex) I have seen where they are too nice to kids. It is chaos !!!!!!!!!!
& dangerous!!!! Only thing about cosmic is when they turn off the lights it is really dark!!!!!!!!!! Love the glow stuff on the walls.

Matt
MattJazz is offline   Reply With Quote